Type
    Evie
    Level
    46+
    Playing?
    Retired
    Gold
    I used to play the violin. 'Twas great.
    Except then I had to drop Orchestra so I could take French and all my art classes too.
    'Twould be amazing if I could play the violin in Mabi.

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) woohoohelloppl the explorer of Mabination woohoohelloppl the explorer of Mabination woohoohelloppl the explorer of Mabination woohoohelloppl's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    None
    Character
    Playing?
    Retired
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Character
    Gold
    Wobbu wobbu wobbuffet.
    ( I vote for all of the above.
    Bassoons, Euphoniums, Saxes, and Ocarinas would be nice too. Maybe even a Hydraulophone(see video below)?

Anyways, how would conductors work in Mabi? )

Purifier Unit First Class Trigger the succubus slayer Trigger's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    Trigger
    Total Level
    19XXX
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Druid
    Guild
    GHOST
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by woohoohelloppl View Post
    Anyways, how would conductors work in Mabi?
    OOC: See my previous post for an example of how a conductor might be implemented.

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) woohoohelloppl the explorer of Mabination woohoohelloppl the explorer of Mabination woohoohelloppl the explorer of Mabination woohoohelloppl's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    None
    Character
    Playing?
    Retired
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Character
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    OOC: See my previous post for an example of how a conductor might be implemented.
    OOC :: That actually sounds like a great idea, IMO. :O

Mabination User kotarou3 was almost killed by a brown fox
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Mari
    Character
    kotarou3
    Total Level
    9xx
    Race
    Elf
    Guild
    Nekojimaa
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinhthehero View Post
    We can't really have those instruments because they were invented much more later in the future, then again... I'm not really sure what timeline Mabinogi is in but I know it's medieval/celtic-mythology or something of that sort. However, I think there were some modern items thrown in the game too.

I want a violin though.
    According to wikipedia, the first Lutes appeard at around the 13th century AD, while the game is kinda messed up: when the millitens arrived on ireland, Nuadha had already lost the throne. So the game must be set at around 1880 BC ~ 1700 BC

So to devcat, when instruments were invented isnt important in this game. BTW, the Viol (predossesor of the violin), Shawm (predossesor of the oboe), harpsichord (predossesor of the piano), organ and Horn was invented during the Renaissance period i think (14th~16th centuries)
    kotarou3 has a signature!
    I gots inf FS >:D
    Nexon = Ferghus
    Nexon = Ferghus 2

Deliverer Byte the aspiring sailor Byte the aspiring sailor Byte's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Mari
    Playing?
    Not interested
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus East
    Character
    None
    Level
    2x
    Guild
    None
    Playing?
    Not interested
    Gold
    Walking while playing... What's the point of being a bard when you cannot move around and play?

Chaotic Neutral Hazeri the master of posting Hazeri the master of posting Hazeri the master of posting Hazeri the master of posting Hazeri the master of posting Hazeri's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    Hazeri
    Race
    Giant
    Talent
    Cooking
    Guild
    Celeste
    Playing?
    Casual
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus West
    Type
    Fiona
    Playing?
    Playing NA Vindictus
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    OOC:

Personally, I wish there were some kind of orchestra minigame. Tara would be a great place to host something of this nature, as would Emain Macha. As an orchestra needs a lot of instruments, some of which aren't available, Nexon would need to implement quite a bit, most notably the keyboard as almost all other instrument types are already represented (keyboards are both string and percussion, falling into a class almost by themselves).

Essentially, players would sign up for this large-scale minigame by the type of instrument they wish to play. Upon the beginning of the minigame, players would be teleported to their proper orchestra seats, according to their chosen instruments. (Obviously there would have to be some sort of limiter on just how many people could play the same type of instrument; don't want an "orchestra" with only lute players!) It would work like the party system -- players could start "orchestra parties" that would be listed on a separate board (similar to Shadow Mission parties) along with the name of the conductor and the song chosen for the session. Players could then sign up for a session with a known competent conductor and/or a song they wish to play, or make a new session themselves.

The song used in the session would be selected by the player who first signed up for the session -- there would be an option to pick from a list of Mabinogi audio tracks or to donate a score scroll to the list. Songs added to the list would remain permanently on file, with a 5-star rating system that would allow players to score player-made songs based on quality. Songs regularly scoring poorly could go up for a vote of deletion from the library so as to reduce clutter from inferior songs.

During the orchestra session, players would be required to input properly timed commands with the typical WSAD layout. As there is always some latency, the system would have to be forgiving, not requiring perfection, but giving a window of opportunity during which time the correct command must be entered (1-2 seconds depending on the song's tempo). Entering the correct commands within the time allotted would produce quality sound from that instrument section. All sections playing in harmony would create the song.

The conductor's timed input would directly affect the quality of the entire song, not just the quality of a single section.

For all the hype about the music system when Mabi was first released, they certainly haven't given it much attention. A player-driven orchestra would be great, imo.
    Something like this? maybe?

Iyasenu has tamed a desert dragon Iyasenu has tamed a desert dragon Iyasenu has tamed a desert dragon Iyasenu has tamed a desert dragon Iyasenu has tamed a desert dragon Iyasenu has tamed a desert dragon Iyasenu has tamed a desert dragon Iyasenu's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Mari
    Character
    Teraschione
    Total Level
    10xxx
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Vates
    Guild
    Pursuit
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    why isn't there an option for instrument upgrades that affect the effectiveness of magical music ;-;

moving while playing would be awesome.

magical music upgrades... walking while playing... (uncap of knowledge so i can grind to 1 with some sanity left zomg)... your orchesta and conductor idea looked good on paper(er, webpage? xD) and you did a neat job of explaining it.
    if only we could do something like slip this under the head developer's office door at devCat or Nexon or whoever it'd do the most good to have xD
     Kenero Drew Me!

Purifier Unit First Class Trigger the succubus slayer Trigger's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    Trigger
    Total Level
    19XXX
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Druid
    Guild
    GHOST
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Everwanderer View Post
    Something like this? maybe?
    Embedding failed.

But yes, that's basically what I had in mind, only not so DDR-precise. System must be forgiving to compensate for latency.

Anime Is For Jerks
    <span style='color: ##00688B'>Moppy</span> is a Nation Alchemist <span style='color: ##00688B'>Moppy</span> is a Nation Alchemist <span style='color: ##00688B'>Moppy</span> is a Nation Alchemist <span style='color: ##00688B'>Moppy</span> is a Nation Alchemist <span style='color: ##00688B'>Moppy</span> is a Nation Alchemist <span style='color: ##00688B'>Moppy</span> is a Nation Alchemist <span style='color: ##00688B'>Moppy</span> is a Nation Alchemist <span style='color: ##00688B'>Moppy</span> is a Nation Alchemist <span style='color: ##00688B'>Moppy</span>'s Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    GIANTmop
    Race
    Giant
    Guild
    Vahlse
    Playing?
    Retired
    Vindictus/Heroes