Thread: Kaxiyu's Music Guide

Mabination User Kaxiyu has just left the soul stream
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold

Kaxiyu's Music Guide

I have searched and realize that Arsik re-posted the previous version of the guide here some time ago. I'm not trying to throw this one out and tick everyone off or break the rules. This is a later version of the guide. I obviously can't edit the one Arsik put up after all... Not to mention, I feel safer when it's actually under my name, and not someone else.

----------

KAIXYU'S MUSIC GUIDE

You might find that my trying to post a type of Music Guide here is pretty redundant. It's my choice if I wrote it or not though, so there. Hah! :3

Code:
    [intro0] I.   Introduction
    [intro1]     i.   Sources
    [intro2]     ii.  Tools
    [intro3]     iii.  Change Log
    [bard0]  II. Basic Bard/Minstrel Information
    [bard1]      i.   Instruments and Weaponry
    [bard2]      ii.  Skills
    [bard2-1]        a.   Music Theory Skill - How to Obtain It
    [bard3]      iv.  Magical Music
    [mus0]   III.  Reading Music
    [mus1]       i.   Reading Standard Notation
    [mus2]       ii.  Reading and Converting Guitar Tabulature/Tabs
    [mml0]   IV. Writing MML
    [mml1]       i. What is MML?
    [mml2]       ii.  Writing MML from Scratch/MML Basics
    [mml2-1]         a. Writing MML through MIDI Conversion
    [mml2-2]         b. MP3 to MIDI Conversion
    [mml3]       iii. Writing Music Articulation in MML
    [mml4]       iiv. Writing for Instruments
    [mml5]       v.   MML Optimization
    [link0]  V.  Some Other Links

[intro0] - INTRODUCTION

I'll try to make this brief. This is basically a guide based on common music questions as well as to try to combine every darn Music guide I've ever read for Mabinogi... ever... The fact you are reading this is to learn more about Music and Music-Know-How in Mabinogi. I will try to cover as much as I can in this wall of text.

I try to separate the sections across several posts and try to leave space for editing. So I apologize for not using up all the space provided.

Please use the navigation/outline above to go to whatever section you would like, using the corresponding codes that are listed using the "Ctrl+F" [Find] Function (which are the letters and numbers in brackets on the left side). It will greatly reduce the time you spend reading this if you already know what each section explains.

Enjoy and I hope this is informative and helpful to you.

-- Yukai Makino/Cookie Tamodachi
    Rui of Ruairi
    [intro1] - Sources
    Mabinogi Guru Forums » Mabinogi » The Orchestra » ~How to Make Good Music~
    MIDI EDITING GUIDE

Mabinogi Guru Forums » Mabinogi » The Orchestra » ???? MML????? 3ML EDITOR 2 Webpage
    3ML EDITOR

Mabinogi Guru Forums » Mabinogi » Guides Library » Guide Submission Hall » Becoming A Bard. - Mabinogi Guru Forums
    GENERAL BARD OVERVIEW

Mabinogi Guru Forums » Mabinogi » Guides Library » Guide Submission Hall » How to Read Sheet Music and Guitar Tabulature
    STANDARD NOTATION AND GUITAR TAB GUIDE

Snow's Mabinogi Tools » This site is no longer up
    OLDER VERSIONS OF 3ML AND MAKI-MABI SEQUENCER

[TOO LAZY TO TRANSLATE] » ?y???y??
    INFORMATION INSTRUMENTS

Angevon's Fantasy Life » KR Test Angevon’s (Lame) Life
    KR TEST STUFF (Found out about Ice Flute from here)

[CHINESE SITE] » ??? - Ice Flute - ?? - Mabinogi ????
    MORE ICE FLUTE STUFF

5 Years of Playing Flute for School Bands

and Various Reading on Music and Music Theory...
    [intro2] - Tools
    The main tools I use are Maki-Mabi Sequencer and 3ML Editor. I also have various composing programs, but they have fallen out of use since I no longer play my respective instrument (Flute) avidly anymore. I only use them to help me quickly transpose from one key to another for scores... Thus, I see no need to post them here... Search online for some basic composing software if you're into this stuff...
    Maki-Mabi Sequencer AKA mmSeq - This is a basic MML Editor. It's simple and easy to use. It's great for composing from scratch or modifying a score I take online. It has limitations, especially when it comes to how many parts you can compose at one time. It's still a very nice tool to have on hand sometimes. It seems a bit out-dated for the 96TPQN system that MML has and should not be used to finalize compositions. Thanks to Esharp on Mabiguru for telling me this.
    Download from the Developer - Take note that the download here is in Japanese. I do not have an English copy of this version on hand. If anyone wants to help me decompile the EXE and translate it, be sure to PM me.
    OLDER/ENGLISH VERSION(S):
    Download from MediaFire
    Download from Megaupload
    3ML Editor AKA 3ML - This is usually the program people would refer you to when you need an offline composing program for Mabinogi. I use an older version but there's also the "Multi-language Release" which was posted on the site. It's slightly more complicated to use but it generally does the same thing as mmSeq.

The huge feature it has a MIDI to MML conversion feature. So if you compose then turn it into an MML, this is the software you would use to quickly convert it.
    Download from the Developer (NOTE: It takes some looking around. I recommend you have a "translator" with you to help with navigation.)
    OLDER VERSION(S):
    Download from Mediafire
    Download from Megaupload
    I would also love it if people directed me to a freeware Midi Editor... At least... It would be nice...

It is possible in the future I might write guides on how to use these programs. Till then, providing links will have to do.
    [intro3] - Change Log

2010.26.5 - It's baaccckk! Huzzah! This guide is now available on Mabination with more up-to-date information that it's previous incarnation on Mabiguru. Isn't that sweet. Any previous links have been taken down due to the fact that they are in fact broken and lead to, otherwise harmful software. Some of the images were also out-dated - especially the image containing the attack information on instruments. It has been replaced with links leading to their respective Wiki pages on Mabinogi World's Wiki till I compile a new image. You guys should be extremely happy I went through all the trouble of bringing this here.

I also went ahead and did a quick spell check since some people did say I misspelled a few things. I should update the format of this in the future. It's insanely hard to read when it's all in one post actually...

[bard0] - BASIC BARD/MINSTREL INFORMATION

Bards/Minstrels are generally defined as people who play music in the world of Mabinogi. In general, they could be considered "traveling musicians" in 'ye olde days'. :]

Training to be a Bard costs a sizable amount of AP as well as a whole lot of patience. It's not easy but it can be a very fun set of skills to get.

This branch of skills is typically lumped with specifications for a general "Support Character" as high-ranked Bards have the Magical Music ability. This allows you to buff and cast special effects with magical scrolls you play.

Typically, characters who are bards/minstrels also tend to lean towards life-skills, archery and/or magic because of the DEX and INT boosts you receive from these skills. However, Music Skills can be incorporated into any build. It's also a great way to pass time with friends around a campfire or something just by pulling out an instrument and playing scores and chatting.

You are also able to receive tips while you are playing with the use of the "Performance" action, which I thought was a nifty little feature, even if it is for chump change.

[bard1] - Instruments and Weapons

There are 12 instruments in Mabinogi at the time this guide is written. This does not include TONE BOTTLES and HAND BELLS. If you include tone bottles, this would make it a total of 27 instruments playable... but I won't focus on Tone Bottles, nor Hand Bells.
    Stringed:

Lute
    Ukelele
    Mandolin

Wind:

Flute
    Chalameau
    Whistle

*Roncadora
    *Ice Flute

Percussion:

Small Drum
    Big Drum
    Cymbals

Brass:

Physis Tuba [GIANT ONLY]
    *The Roncadora and Ice Flute are only obtained by special means. The Roncadora is from a Collection Book which you obtain via Exploration in Iria. The book requires you collect Whistling Rock fragments. The Ice Flute is a special instrument used to help kill a Mirror Witch. :P An Ice Flute generally sounds just like a regular one and doesn't last very long. You get an Ice Flute, which is rare, from a Parr Ruin Dungeon Treasure Room. Basically what an Ice Flute does, is give you the ability to break mirrors in the boss room Parr Ruins to kill the bosses there in Hard Mode while it's being played (albeit, the song has to be perfect).

Each instrument has different sounds and work on different octaves (covered in a later section). They also have different stats and durability.

The best instrument weapon is Mandolin at the cost of 20,000 Gold. It is upgradable at Endelyon, Walter and Pierrick.

An instrument that is upgraded can be very formidable weapons and shouldn't be taken lightly... However, I will say to NOT use your instrument as your main weapon. It's good to have an extra sword handy or even a ranged weapon.

Two-Handers will work if you need to dish out some power quickly after switching from an instrument. A one-handed weapon and a Kite Shield are also good choices for Melee Combat.

Dual Wielding slow weapons is also a viable choice. Due to the long stun-time, slow weapons are excellent for Melee.

At the same time, plenty of Bards end up being Archers/Mages, as they receive DEX boosts from the high ranks in Music Playing. Composing and Music Theory gives you sizable INT boosts so magic is also a good option.

(NOTE: Wands are pretty risky business as you'll be switching from your instrument to a wand occasionally if you can use Magical Music. You could possibly find yourself in a situation where you're constantly out of mana from switching. Be cautious when you use a wand. I would suggest a sword or a blunt weapon rather then a wand.)

It's all dependent on what type of character you play... Be flexible with your options. This is, in fact, a very flexible set of skills to work with.
    [bard2] - Skills
    There are three main music skills you would need to effectively play music and ultimately play Magical Music.

Playing Instrument/Music
    This is the skill that allows you to play music as long as you are holding an instrument in your hands. You are unable to move while using this skill, so if you're using this in the middle of combat, be very cautious and observant of your surroundings.

If you equip a Score Scroll in your Right-Hand, you will play the notes written on the score.

The higher the rank in this skill, the easier it is to play harder compositions and it also makes the effects of Magical Music more potent.

To obtain this skill, equip any instrument in your hands.

If you are a newbie, I suggest you wait till you receive a quest from "Endelyon" where you would receive a free Lute and some EXP to get this skill.

The Master title for this skill is:
    Playing Instrument Master
    Int +20
    Dex +10
    Will +20
    Max MP/Mana -20
    Max SP/Stamina -20
    Composing
    Everyone's favorite music skill... This allows you to write Music Scores that you can equip in your right hand. The language for the music is MML (Music Macro Language; will be covered later on).

When you have a BLANK Score Scroll (which you can buy from any General Story, Nele and some traveling Merchants across Erinn for 30 Gold, I believe it's 27 gold on Friday), you are able to write music into 3 separate fields:

Melody, Chord 1 and Chord 2

These three fields will all play the notes written on them at the same time.

These three fields also have CHARACTER RESTRICTIONS. You can only type in so many characters into each field before the composition will end. You can always go below the limit, but not above.

Quick Chart on How Many Characters You Can Put on Each Line:

The higher the rank in Composing, the longer you can write compositions.

To obtain this skill, Advanced Read a Book called "Introduction to Music Composition" which can be purchased for 500 Gold at Malcolm, Aeira, Nele, Alexina or Hagel.

This skill is capped at Rank 6 and there is no Master Title for it.

The higher the rank in Composing, the longer you can write compositions.
    Music Theory
    This skill determines the rank of the scrolls you write. Without it, all the scores will end up being a "Drafting" Rank, which you are unable to use to train Music Playing after Rank D.

This skill also gives you the ability to perform a "Great Success".

This skill is capped at Rank 6 and there is no Master Title for it.

[bard2-1] - How to Obtain Music Theory

This skill gets it's own nifty little section on obtaining it because there are two ways of getting this skill.

The first is purchasing and advanced reading a book called "Music Theory". The price tag is a whooping 80,000 Gold.

Ouch... That's a bit pricey...

The second is to befriend the bookstore keeper, Aeira, in Dunbarton so she will give you the book at a much cheaper cost.

The easiest way to befriend her is to gift her 5 Anthology books and 10 Cubic Puzzles, which are sold in the "Gift" section in the General Store at Dunbarton (shopkeeper: Walter).

Drag and drop the items onto Aeira so your cursor changes to a "Gift" cursor if you are unaware about how to gift an NPC.

NOTE: The amount of items vary between person to person. The "How to Become a Bard" guide by Tessen on Mabiguru states you only need 5 Anthology Books and 5 Cubic Puzzles. There really is no set amount for how many items you give her as long as you befriend her.

You can reduce the number of gifts to 5 Anthology books and 2 Cubic Puzzles if you talk to her about her "Private Story" and "Nearby Rumors" after each gift.

When you're done, you talk to Aeira about Skills and she should give you the Music Theory Book. If she doesn't give you the book, gift her one more Anthology book then talk to her about Skills.
    [bard3] - Magical Music
    At higher ranks, Bards/Minstrels are able to cast special effects and buffs on their party member by playing Magic Score Scrolls. This is called Magical Music.

The MINIMUM requirements for this ability is:
    TO PERFORM:
    • Rank 9+ Instrument/Music Playing
    TO COMPOSE MAGIC SCROLLS:
    • Rank 9+ Composing
    • Rank 9+ Music Theory
    NOTE: When composing a scroll, it is completely by chance that it would be embedded with a Magical Property. There is no way to boost your chances of getting a Magical Scroll and there is no way to pick the effect the scroll will have.

By meeting the minimum requirements, you are able to play two types of scrolls: Healing and Stat Boost.
    Stat Boost - You are able to cast an effect that will be empower the party with certain statistics (DEX, INT etc).

Healing - You are able to strengthen the healing effect (rate) of the party.
    The potency of the boost is determined by your Instrument Playing Rank.

At Rank 5 Instrument Playing, you are also able to cast Special Status Effects via Magical Music.
    Peaceful Music - Will neutralize the aggro on all nearby enemies. If a failure, all enemies in the area will become aggravated.

Berserker - If successful, all party members are unable to be knocked down. If it is a Failure, the effect of this will go to the monster instead.

Fast Casting - Reduces casting speed of magic spells by 30%.

Sharp Aiming - Increases aim meter of ranged attacks to 120%.

That's pretty much it for general bard info.

[mus0] - READING MUSIC

When you want to compose in MML, it's pretty essential that you know how to read music. If you weren't, then it'd be pretty stupid of me to write this section, haha.

You GENERALLY want to know some things about Music Theory -- which is knowing how the mechanics of music works. This is generally defined by people knowing how to read music, being able to compose and/or understand the different elements of music. This is not just a skill name in Mabinogi.

Generally, people who have studied Music have some degree in knowledge in Music Theory as they are able to read and play notes accordingly depending on how it's written on a score or in tabulature etc. This is why most people who compose their own scores typically play an instrument in real life, as they already know how the conversion from a score to MML should look visually (letters, numbers, notes etc.) as well as sound auditory (by ear).

I would HONESTLY suggest reading up on anything covered in this section about reading music SEPARATELY, as my explanations are pretty much a bunch of hogwash. I don't go into a lot of detail and my wording can sound pretty vague...
    [mus1] - Reading Standard Notation
    There's a lot to cover for reading Standard Notation. Even I don't know much even with having 5 years of experience playing a Flute. I can't possibly cover EVERYTHING.

What I WILL do is tell you how read the notes as letters, essentially the letters that are used for MML. Note lengths, articulation etc. are something you should read up separately.

Standard Notation is what most music is written on, what is called, a five-line staff.

There are two standard Clefs used to write music: Treble and Bass Clefs.

There are, of course, others, however, these are the two most common. Depending on which Clef is used, determines how you read the notes in the piece.
    The lines on a line with a Treble Clef, from bottom-to-top, are: E G B D F
    The spaces, from bottom-to-top, are: F A C E

The lines on a line with a Bass Clef, from bottom-to-top are: G B D F A
    The spaces, from bottom-to-top, are: A C E G

Imagine lines above and below the five-line staff where additional notes can go on and continue the pattern of letters. You get the hang of it eventually...

So if a note is written on a line or space, you should immediately think of the letter it represents.

This is crucial to know when reading piano music or even a conductors/full score where you are reading every instrument's part. It's also a handy skill to know when you want to play different instruments.

There's also a bunch of symbols that look like a small "b" and a small "#". The "b" is a "flat". It means that it's one-half step lower then the note written. The "#" means it is sharp, or one-half step higher then the note written.

What does this mean? Well. Think of it this way. You play a "C" and a "D" but you get this weird note that sounds too high to be a C and too low to be a D. You're playing a note in-between a C and a D and it can be written two different ways:

That note could be written as either a C# (C Sharp) or a Db (D Flat).

A Sharp is equal to a Flat of the following note.

For the sake of simplicity, I will keep the guide written completely in Sharps.

As well as the notes, there are various symbols to keep track of (which is articulation - or the symbols that make a musical piece sound cooler by adding a little "flair" to how you play notes). As I'm trying to save on characters and due to the fact that there are just plain TOO MANY OF THEM, these sites should cover them:

Modern musical symbols - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    http://www.dolmetsch.com/musicalsymbols.html

It's also handy to know a common scale of notes.

One of the most common scales used is the C Major Scale, and it is what's used when writing MML:
    C Major: C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C

C Major (with Sharps):

C, C#, D, D#, E, E#/F, F#, G, G# A, A#, B, B#/C
    NOTE: E# and B# are usually omitted. They don't have a real pitch. However, it is handy to know that E# = F and B# = C when writing MML for optimization.
    [mus2] - Reading and Converting Guitar Tabulature
    Thanks to Arsik for the original Guitar Tabulature Conversion Guide.

The strings on a guitar are arranged so they go from thick to thin. The notes that correspond with these are (from thickest to thinnest): E A D G B E

If you notice, there's a bunch of bars on the neck of the guitar. The areas between them are frets. Each fret goes up half-step from the one preceding it. So lets say you play G, then you play first fret on G string. You're playing G# because the first fret is half a step up from the original note, G.

Now, reading Guitar Tabs isn't very hard. They are usually written out with 6 lines, corresponding to each string, like this:

E----------
    B----------
    G----------
    D----------
    A----------
    E----------
    As you can see, tabs are pretty much written from thinnest string to thickest string going down. So the small "e" on the top corresponds with the thinnest string while the "e" on the bottom corresponds with the thickest one... Sorry if it sounds like I'm repeating myself...

Numbers would appear on the lines, telling you what fret to play on that string.

So say you see this:

E----------
    B----------
    G----------
    D----------
    A--5-------
    E----------
    It tells me that i have to play the 5th fret on the A string.

Referring back to a normal scale (I just use C Major since I'm used to it: C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G# A, A#, B etc.), if you keep going up a half-step from A for each fret, I end up playing a D.

Here's just a chart I made to help with conversion if needed:

Obviously the numbers on the top row are the numbers/frets you see when you read Guitar Tabs while the letters on the left most side are the strings.

Every 12 frets or so, the scale will go up to the next octave... So the colors are labeled accordingly:

Purple - Octave 3
    Blue - Octave 4
    Green - Octave 5
    Yellow - 0ctave 6
    Red - 0ctave 7
    And so on...

You can modify the octaves to whatever you want but I just numbered them 3-7 just because that's where I would initially visualize where the notes will be when writing MML (it gives me space to adjust the notes). It's natural to write the lower notes (which I labeled as Purple/Octave 3 and on the chart) on Octave 4 and Octave 5 in MML so bump them up and down as you compose to your liking. I'll mention Octave changes later on when we get into the nitty-gritty of MML.

There are symbols and such to signify the techniques guitarists use when playing a composition. You can look them up on sites, as they vary from composition to composition.
    Common Symbols:

h - hammer-on
    p - pull off
    b OR ^ - bend (this varies)
    r - release bend
    / - ascending slide (going up)
    \ - descending slide (going down)
    ~ OR v - vibrato
    t - tapping
    x - string mute/dead note
    <> - harmonic
    I am unable to explain what you do with all these symbols as playing stringed instruments is not my forte. I have never played a guitar and I'm not going to start learning. I would suggest you go and look up what these symbols mean as well as additional ones.

The only flaw with Guitar Tabs is that YOU ARE UNABLE TO FIGURE OUT HOW LONG A NOTE IS HELD UNLESS WRITTEN OTHERWISE! You'll have to modify notes etc. to figure out how to convert it.

[mml0] - WRITING MML

[mml1] - What is MML?
    MML is an acronym for Music Macro Language. This is not to be confused with Music Markup Language, which is an XML Based Music script.

This is the primary language used to make compositions in Mabinogi. You should know that when you use the "Composing" skill, when the window comes up, you have 3 fields where you can write text, which is:
    Melody, Chord 1 and Chord 2
    In those fields, you write lines of text using "MML".
    [mml2] - Writing MML From Scratch/MML Basics
    Since we covered how to convert standard notation and tabulature to letters, we should get to writing the actual MML.

I know lots of people who absolutely hate learning MML. It's actually one of the easiest languages to learn out there.

Code:
    MML@>
    [INSERT MELODY LINE HERE]
    [INSERT CHORD 1 HERE]
    [INSERT CHORD 2 HERE]
    ;
    See that code above? That's the standard format on how you would write MML so you are able to use the "Copy from Clipboard" button. Usually you would find all the notes condensed like this on several sites:

Code:
    MML@>[INSERT MELODY LINE HERE],[INSERT CHORD 1 HERE],[INSERT CHORD 2 HERE];
    Don't worry, either way is correct and will still read by the game the same way.

When you want to copy a score from a site, make sure you copy EVERYTHING to the semi-colon ( ; ).

To fill in those blanks, you start off with your basic notes: C D E F G A B

When you want a note to be a certain length, you add a number after it. It's really simple:

1 = Whole Note
    2 = Half Note

No Additional Number is needed to be used to detonate a Quarter Note, however, it's number is supposed to be "4". It is omitted usually.

6 = Tuplet Quarter Note
    8 = Eighth Note
    11 = Tuplet Eigth Note
    16 = Sixteenth Note
    24 = Tuplet Sixteenth Note
    32 = Thirty-Second Note
    42 = Tuplet Thirty-Second Note
    64 = Sixty-Fourth Note
    So if I want... Oh... a C Eighth Note, then I would write : C8

Then you modify them with other commands.
    + - Comes after Letter. Indicates that this note is sharp. So if I write "C+8", it'll play a C Sharp Eighth note. That's easy enough.

- - Comes after Letter. Indicates that this note is flat. So if I wrote "B-2", it'll play a B Flat Half note. Again. Easy enough.

V - Followed by a number. Will change the volume of the line. The default value is 10 The highest volume is 15, which you will find most scores set to if you search around online.

So, say I wanted to make this: <a+>c+8d+8r8f+8d+8r8

...as loud as I could.

I would write: V15<a+>c+8d+8r8f+8d+8r8

R - Followed by a Number. Indicates that there is a rest there. Rests work the same way as notes so treat them as such. So, lets say I wanted a half-rest, I would write it out as: R2

T - Followed by a Number. It sets the tempo of the piece. The default tempo is 120.

Lets go back to that line: <a+>c+8d+8r8f+8d+8r8

We modified it so it's loud: V15<a+>c+8d+8r8f+8d+8r8

Now let's speed up the tempo a little. I'll say, 130 is a good number. It'll look like this:

T130V15<a+>c+8d+8r8f+8d+8r8

Experiment with the tempo to see how fast/slow the song should/you want it to be.

O - Followed by a number. This neat little bugger sets up the octave the instrument plays in. Basically it tells you how high or low the notes are.

You have our normal C Major scale: C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C.

Now imagine that copied and pasted 8 times, going up even higher and squeakier then before (remember how I coded the Guitar Tab chart for different octaves?).

Haha. Now, obviously, different instruments will play C Major differently. Some instruments sound lower, and some sound higher (if you have a piano or keyboard at home, play a "C" on the left hand side, and compare it to a "C" on the right hand side to understand this better). In MML, you adjust the Octave to fit the instrument you're playing (will be covered in a later section) and to have certain parts sound correctly. This is true with any instrument.

Personally, I think this command matters most with stringed instruments since you can hear the different strings play different notes at different octaves (pianos generally work with all 8 octaves while guitars work with only 6). It's all your opinion though, not mine.

The default Octave is 4

> - Is used to Step up one octave.
    < - Is used to Step down one octave.

This is much more practical to use than "O5" to change octave from the default "O4".

If you take a look at my example I've been using: T130V15<a+>c+8d+8r8f+8d+8r8

....you can see it has both < and >. Now, you can see I didn't put an "O" command at the beginning, meaning that this line is on "O4"/Octave 4...

T130V15<a+>c+8d+8r8f+8d+8r8

The first "<" indicates that the "a+" is one octave down from "O4", AKA "O3", while the ">" tells me that the notes after it are set one octave higher, which brings us back to "O4".

Sounds kinda confusing, even to me, but it's such an easy concept, it's hard to explain if you don't try it out yourself.

L - Followed by a number. This will specify the DEFAULT NOTE LENGTH used by notes and rests. Sounds confusing? It's not. Think of it as a note length converter.

Lets make something redundant like... Oh... a 4 "A" Eight Notes on Octave 4.

a8a8a8a8

Yay. We have a bunch of Eighth Notes. Why do we wanna type out "a8" all the time though? Is there a different way I can type this so I don't have to type out that loopy 8 all the time?

Brilliant idea! Let's use this nifty "L" command like this:

L8aaaa

Now it plays Eighth Notes like we originally planned, but we don't have to type out "a8" the entire time!

Isn't it cool?!

If any one has an easier way of explaining this, don't hesitate and tell me!

& - Put in between two identical notes, indicates a TIE. So... Let's say we want to combine a Whole note with a Thirty-Second note... I'll just use F Sharp for this example.

F+1&F+32

By putting "&" in between the two separate notes, they make one really long note instead of two separate ones. :D

. - Placed after a note, indicates it is a dotted note. So you have the length of the note indicated PLUS half.

So lets say I have a Dotted Half Note:

D2.

You will play for three beats, as opposed to two or "2beats + 2beats/2". It's a lot easier to write dotted notes rather then Ties when needed.

Obviously D2. is superior to D2&D in that situation, but D+2&D+8 has no alternative. Use both commands when needed.

N - Followed by a number assigns a note's pitch. Values = 0~88

Thanks to Esharp, I got info on this command.

Quote Originally Posted by Esharp
    Pitch notes are used when your other sources of notes are used up already and you have to jump at least two octaves or one octave to a note with a sharp. It's often used for advanced optimization.

Two octaves: c>>c<<c or co6co4c becomes cn72c

One octave+sharp: l8d+>d+<f+2fg+ becomes l8d+n39f+2fg+

n0~n15 doesn't have a sound effect for most non-wind (excluding Chalumeau) instruments.
    n88 is the highest instruments will go.
    I'm trying to think of a way to explain this easier with easier to follow examples...
    That's generally the basics of what you need to know to start writing in MML.
    [mml2-1] - Writing MML through MIDI Conversion
    NOTE: This section is in need of revision.

This is a process I won't try to expand on too much. Basically with this you are required to use 3ML's MIDI to MML option.

Personally, I consider this a "lazy" persons alternative to composing...

I usually don't compose my own MIDI files due to the fact I write all my music in Standard Notation anyway. I'm stuck just telling you stuff about 3ML...

When you have a MIDI file that has been downloaded on a site or composed by yourself, you would open up 3ML and go up to "File". There you should see an "Import MIDI (M)" option on the drop down or something of that type...

Then you look for the MIDI file you saved on your computer and open/import it into 3ML.

From there, you would edit the MML that shows up from the screen and clean it up as you go along etc.

That's just about it.

Unless I suddenly have a Freeware MIDI Editor smacked into my face, I won't go into any other details about this process.

[mml2-2] - MP3 to MIDI conversion
    MP3 to MIDI conversion is almost virtually impossible. I've tried it with several programs, and I can easily say it won't work.

Note the "almost virtually impossible". That means, "It IS possible, but it's just easier on you to just do this [composing by ear]. Trust me. I'm not kidding. Take my advice.".

It's much easier to just compose it by ear than to do a MP3 => MIDI => MML conversion.

MIDI's are essentially SPECIFIC instructions on how to create the sounds that MIDIs play. They aren't really Music files but more accurately classified as "instructions" on how to play this sound on a computer using software that recognizes that. Many music players can recognize how to play MIDI's which is why we can listen to them.

With an MP3, it has the depth and inconsistency of a human playing the music, singing etc. and are very complicated. You can't just pick out harmonies because an MP3 won't state exactly how the harmony is played, it'll just sound the file and the harmony will blend in to create the wonderful music we would hear, but can't exactly pick out.

Think of MP3 => MIDI conversion as creating sheet music from a complex recording involving several instruments over a wide range of musicians of different skill level. It suddenly becomes a difficult task because it is hard to capture the diversity in a set of notes on paper.

You can get recognition software to do SOME kind of "MP3 to MIDI" conversion. These kinds of software analyzes the peaks of a music file and tries to put MIDI notes to them. However, you are most likely going to end up your original song that's been put into a blender and put back together by a 5 year old.

This is an example of a supposed "MP3 to MIDI" type of software called WIDI Recognition System.

If you look at the picture above, that window with the blurry blue junk is essentially what your MP3 would look like visually on a piano roll. The dark blue/orange areas are the "loudest" parts of the song and usually programs like this will put a note there.

These usually ended up to be a bunch of jumbled masses of notes that sounded like a tornado being set off in a kitchen filled with pots, pans and utensils. Or, a bunch of little kids who bang everything they see against something. That kind of a mess.

It wasn't anything like the picture above (which has obviously been edited to make the software look good)

This is what happened when I did use this piece of software. It becomes and unrecognizable jumble of notes that was like a TV show trying to play when I wasn't able to get reception with a TV Antenna - all scratchy and unpleasant to hear.

Don't try to convert an MP3 into a MIDI. Ever.

[mml3] - Writing Music Articulation in MML
    If you've studied music, you know that if there's certain symbols written (when you read standard notation or any kind of notation) which will tell you how to play a specific note or set of notes in a piece. (Refer to a Music Symbols guide/Chart to see what I'm talking about here) It's tricky to recompose in MML, due to the fact that the language is extremely limited in it's capabilities. There are various tricks you can do to produce the correct articulation in MML format. I'll demonstrate here:

This is a section I copied from Eine kleine Nachtmusik by Mozart, arranged by Andrew Blaent. This was composed for Flute in the E Flat Major Scale.

NOTE: I ignore the rest at the end. It's pretty pointless to write in MML.

If I arranged it normally in MML (unoptimized), it would look like this:

Code:
    MML@>
    a+2b+2a+8g+8g+8g+8g+8g8g8g8g8f8f8f8d+8d8c8d8d+2&d+8d+8f8d8g2&g8g8a8f8<a+2>cdd+fgaa+.f8a8.f16a8.f16a+.f8a8.f16a8.f16a+8a+a+8&a+8a+a+8&a+8a+a+8&a+8a+a+8a8f8a+8f8a8f8a+8f8a8f8f8f8f
    >g2a+2g8f8f8f8f8d+8d+8d+8d+8
    ;
    If you hear it, it sounds pretty normal, however, there is no Articulation incorporated with it and it sounds like flat notes. Obviously different from how it was written.

I remember my teacher being a stickler on how we played each note... [shivers] Those were the days... And she definitely didn't make us play "flat" notes.

Because of that, I rewrote the song with lots of changes (still unoptimized), it adds a ton of characters but the difference is very clear when you listen to it.

Code:
    MML@
    v10>a+2b+2a+8g+8g+16r16g+16r16g+8g8g16r16g16r16g8f8f16r16f16r16d+8d8c8d8r64v13d+2&d+16.&d+64v10d+8f8d8r64v13g2&g16.&g64v10g8a8f8v8<a+&a+v10>cv11dv12d+v13fv14gv15aa+.f8a8.f16a8.f16a+.f8a8.f16a8.f16a+8a+a+8&a+8a+a+8&a+8a+a+8&a+8a+a+8a16r16f16r16a+16r16f16r16a16r16f16r16a+16r16f16r16a16r16f16.r32f16.r32f16.r32f
    >g2a+2g8f8f16r16f16r16f8d+8d+16r16d+16r16d+8
    ;
    I added in a Volume controller at the beginning so we know what volume to start at (Although, I picked the default volume. Silly me.) As well as volume controllers where it says to Crescendo in the original score (if you can hear it anyway).

Then, to match the staccato, I modified this section of the score in the Melody Line:
    a+8g+8g+8g+8g+8g8g8g8g8f8f8f8d+8d8c8d8
    In Maki-Mabi:

Here, it's just a bunch of eighth notes, but I changed it so every two notes, there are two 16th notes, separated by 16th rests.
    a+8g+8g+16r16g+16r16g+8g8g16r16g16r16g8f8f16r16f16 r16d+8d8c8d8
    In Maki-Mabi:

NOTE: I made the same changes to "Chord 1" so the two lines matched.

This alters it it so the notes sound lighter, almost like they're really being played in staccato like the articulation states in the original.

There are a couple of minor adjustments made here and there as well but I don't want to present every change I made... That will take too long.

I would say, the adjustments took around 20 minutes to do, modifying them little by little.
    Just some ideas:

Staccatos - Notes sound shorter, obviously make the notes shorter in MML. It's up to you how short you want to make them, however, don't chop it up too short or it'll sound odd.

Accents - You can shorten the length by a hair in the beginning (usually I use a 64th rest) then make the volume louder then the surrounding notes. This doesn't work well when the score is V15 the entire time or if the note is really long (try not to go past two beats on an average tempo of 120).

Decrescendos/Crescendos - If it's a set of notes going up/down, adjust the volume of each note accordingly. This doesn't work for long notes that are marked with a decrescendo/crescendo.

Piano/Forte - Adjust the V setting accordingly.

Trills - Separate the note(s) into a series of smaller ones that alternate from the one written to one that is higher or a semitone. It's hard to explain if you don't use Trills...
    It takes some experimentation and practice to get used to doing this type of thing, which is why you should have an Offline Mabinogi MML Editor handy to see how scores will sound and for the ability to modify them to your liking.

There are limits to this. Slurs and Legatos are a good example. I wasn't able to put those in as Mabinogi MML is limited to what I could work with and sometimes I'm unable to put in accents or really, really good crescendos. It's all a matter of some creative thinking, seeing what sounds good and how accurate you want to be to the actual piece whether you're converting from written music or even writing by ear.
    [mml4] - Writing For Instruments
    Surprisingly enough, every instrument in Mabinogi has a different range. If the notes go past that range, then... the note will be shifted one octave up or down depending on where you placed it to fit the instrument's range!

(*So* untrue for real instruments but I can't complain...)

This totally botches up a lot of pre-made scrolls. So if you have a scroll composed for Lute, you may have to modify the octaves of all the lines so it sounds good on a Flute (which makes the octaves lower then 3, sound on O4).

So when composing, keep in mind the ranges for all the instruments:
    Lute - E1 - E7
    Mandolin - E1 - E7
    Ukulele - E1 - E7

Chalameau - E1 - B4
    Flute - B4 - B6
    Roncadora - C4 - E7
    Whistle - C5 - E7

Cymbals - Unknown
    Small Drums - Unknown
    Big Drums - Unknown

Physis Tuba - Unknown
    It's easy to read this chart, like as an example: the Lute's range starts at E at Octave 1 and ends at E at Octave 7.

Now, these are pretty close to the actual ranges if not the exact ranges. Hopefully this makes everyone think twice about stealing a composition from a site to find out it sounds terrible on a Whistle. Seriously, Guys.

Also, another thing for Writing for Instruments, try to keep in mind the volume levels for each line. It's not a good idea to always have your harmonies as loud as possible... Err... How to demonstrate this better... Ah! Take a Flute (or an Offline Editor) and compare these two scores:

This first one is a LUTE SCORE for the Gundam 00 ED02, "Friends". It's octave has been modified to fit a Flute better, as per a request from a friend (wasn't able to do much with the harmonies, so they may sound off)...

Code:
    MML@
    t182v15>f8g8g+1g+gfd+1&d+c+c<a+g+a+2b+g+1g8g+8>d+1&d+2>c2f<ggggl8d+d+4cd+2f2&f<g+>c+c+cc+4cd+1&d+<g+>c+c+cl4c+c8<g+2a+g+b+2a+1>ggggd+8d+c8d+2f2&f8c8c+c8c+c8d+c<a+2&a+8g+8a+g+b+g+1&g+1&g+2a+a+>ccc+8c+<a+8>f2d+2c2<a+1>c+c+d+fg+8g+f8a+2g+2f2d+1ffa+2>cc<g+>c+c8<a+g+8a+2b+a+.d+8g+d+8g+d+8g+2>cc<g+8g+8>c+c<a+>d+2c+c<a+1.>cc<g+>c+c8<a+g+8a+2b+a+2.g+g+a+>c+c8<a+g+8g+2&g+8d+8>c+c8<a+g+8g+2.gg+>d+d+1&d+d+c+c<a+1&a+gg+>d+d+2c+cc+2c<g+a+2b+a+2gg+>d+d+.f8d+1.&d+1&d+<gg+>d+d+2c+cc2<g+2>d+2c+cc+c<g+d+g+
    v15l1.rrrrr1r1r4<f4.f2.&f8l4.ffc+c+2.&c+8c+c+ff2.&f8ffc+c+2.&c+8c+c+ff2.&f8ffc+c+2.&c+8c+c+cc2.&c8ccc+c+c+c+c+8c+l2<a+a+.>cc+1&c+c.<a+a+.>cl1c+&c+4d+&d+l4<ffff>c+c+c+c+<g+g+g+g+>d+d+d+d+<ffff>c+c+c+c+<g+g+g+g+>d+d+eeffffeeeed+d+d+d+ddddc+c+c+c+c+c+cc<a+a+>ccc+c+d+d+<ffff>c+c+c+c+<g+g+g+g+>d+d+d+d+<ffff>c+c+c+c+<g+g+g+g+>d+d+d+d+<ffff>c+c+c+c+<g+g+g+g+>d+d+d+d+c+c+c+c+c+c+c+c+c+1&c+1
    rv15o2ffff>c+c+c+c+<g+g+g+g+>d+d+d+d+c+c+c+c+c+c+c+c+c+1&c+1l1.rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr2l4o5d+c+c<a+1&a+l1rrrrr<f4.f4.f8f4
    ;
    The harmony actually sounds a tad overpowering and too loud for an instrument like this (although, because the harmony is very low, it doesn't seem like it). However, it will sound just fine on a Lute.

To fix that, I made it so the harmony is a bit quieter and won't overpower the melody, and it's still very audible:

Code:
    MML@
    t182v15>f8g8g+1g+gfd+1&d+c+c<a+g+a+2b+g+1g8g+8>d+1.>c2f<ggggl8d+d+4cd+2f2&f<g+>c+c+cc+4cd+1&d+<g+>c+c+cl4c+c8<g+2a+g+b+2a+1>ggggd+8d+c8d+2f2&f8c8c+c8c+c8d+c<a+2&a+8g+8a+g+b+g+1&g+1&g+2a+a+>ccc+8c+<a+8>f2d+2c2<a+1>c+c+d+fg+8g+f8a+2g+2f2d+1ffa+2>cc<g+>c+c8<a+g+8a+2b+a+.d+8g+d+8g+d+8g+2>cc<g+8g+8>c+c<a+>d+2c+c<a+1.>cc<g+>c+c8<a+g+8a+2b+a+2.g+g+a+>c+c8<a+g+8g+2&g+8d+8>c+c8<a+g+8g+2.gg+>d+d+1&d+d+c+c<a+1&a+gg+>d+d+2c+cc+2c<g+a+2b+a+2gg+>d+d+.f8d+1.&d+1&d+<gg+>d+d+2c+cc2<g+2>d+2c+cc+c<g+d+g+
    v10l1.rrrrr1r1r4<f4.f2.&f8l4.ffc+c+2.&c+8c+c+ff2.&f8ffc+c+2.&c+8c+c+ff2.&f8ffc+c+2.&c+8c+c+cc2.&c8ccc+c+c+c+c+8c+l2<a+a+.>cc+1&c+c.<a+a+.>cl1c+&c+4d+&d+l4<ffff>c+c+c+c+<g+g+g+g+>d+d+d+d+<ffff>c+c+c+c+<g+g+g+g+>d+d+eeffffeeeed+d+d+d+ddddc+c+c+c+c+c+cc<a+a+>ccc+c+d+d+<ffff>c+c+c+c+<g+g+g+g+>d+d+d+d+<ffff>c+c+c+c+<g+g+g+g+>d+d+d+d+<ffff>c+c+c+c+<g+g+g+g+>d+d+d+d+c+c+c+c+c+c+c+c+c+1&c+1
    rv10o2ffff>c+c+c+c+<g+g+g+g+>d+d+d+d+c+c+c+c+c+c+c+c+c+1&c+1l1.rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr2l4o5d+c+c<a+1&a+l1rrrrr<f4.f4.f8f4
    ;
    Can you hear the difference? To me it sounds much cleaner this way and much more fitting for a Flute.

The change was making the two "Chords/Harmony Lines" V10. Before it was V15. So:
    Melody: V15
    Chord 1 & 2: V15 -> V10
    ALWAYS TAKE VOLUME INTO CONSIDERATION! Please!

To sum this small section up, you should always see how scores would fit before you decide to start playing the same score on different instruments because you could end up with MUSIC or a bunch of NOISE. (Or a bunch of noise that "sounds" like Music because you really don't know how it's supposed to sound like... I'm not trying to insult anyone though!)
    [mml5] - MML Optimization
    Now, this is probably one of the most ANNOYING tasks you would EVER do whenever writing MML. You have to go through all that text and stuff to see if you can SHORTEN it down, thus making the composition less characters and lowering the rank. It's really really reallllyyy taxing but it's a necessary step that SHOULD be taken.

Check Note Lengths

When you're optimizing, group notes that are similar to each other and modify them with "L#". Remember how we did that "a8a8a8a8" thing earlier? This is where it comes in handy. It can reduce the number of characters used greatly.

MAKE SURE YOU PAY ATTENTION TO WHEN THE GROUP ENDS AND SET THE NOTES BACK TO NORMAL/A DIFFERENT LENGTH! If you don't then it's going to sound all messed up. D=

ex.

I have: a8a8a8a8a8a8a8a8cccc

This makes 8 "A" Eighth Notes and 4 "C" Quarter Notes. What we want to do is cut down on how many characters we use. So naturally we would do this:

L8aaaaaaaacccc

But hold on! This makes those previous "C" Quarter Notes are now read as Eighth Notes! That isn't good. So you have to do this:

L8aaaaaaaaL4cccc

Now the "C" notes are reverted back to Quarter Notes. Be VERY careful when doing this.

Watch Octave Changes (NOTES C AND F)

Say that you're composing something and you have to go from maybe, an E on Octave 5 to maybe a C on octave Octave 6.

You'd end up with a code that looks like this:

O5E>C<

You can achieve the same effect by typing:

O5EB+

And you drop a character. Those small adjustments do make a difference. This doesn't apply so much to the note E#/F but it's still pretty nifty to know.

Check Ties

See if you can replace any tied notes with dotted ones or change lengths.

ex.

G2&G -> G2.

----------

There are other things you can do to help shorten the piece which was mentioned in:

Mabinogi Guru Forums » Mabinogi » The Orchestra » MML Optimization?

...by Tolinar on Mabiguru. I've already covered two of these but the other ones are also splendid ideas to ponder.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolinar
    I have come up with approx. 5 methods of song Compression.

1. Key Change
    Sometimes altering the key of a song will drastically reduce the number of sharps or octave changes and shrink it, by 30% or more.

2. Length-adjustment
    As you mentioned, using note-length efficiently.

3. Sound Piling

Usable only when 1 or 2 notes are played at once, putting additional sound data in the extra tracks. Packing them completely full can shrink a song quite a bit.

4. Octavian Piling

Similar to basic piling, but putting all of each octave in a different line (4 in the main, 3 in the second, 5 in the third) so that no octave changes are needed.

5. Tempo Piling

Similar to basic piling but involves putting all the notes of a given LENGTH in each line (8ths in the mainline, quarters in the secondary and half notes or bigger in the third line) so that Length changes are not needed.

These can all help compact a song, especially when combined in the right order.

EDIT: And Luna has a great #6 in Tempo altercation, very good plan there, if that sort of thing works.

This is changing the tempo so you can convert notes to an equivalent that takes less characters.

ex.

t80c8... -> t160c...

Tempo was changed so it's twice as fast. Same thing is done here:

t80L8cccccccc... -> t160cccccccc...

I drop one character.

This involves doing some math and making sure if you won't exceed the limit for the tempo. If used effectively, it's probably as efficient, if not more efficient than using "L" commands.

A 7th alter is applying N to shorten a song even further.
    If anyone comes up with another way to help optimize scores, I'd love to know. :]

P.S. When it comes to composing, try to convert some scores to MML and vice-versa. This is probably the best way to test yourself and see how well you handle MML.

[link0] - SOME OTHER LINKS

Cut & Paste Character count - A Javascript Based Character Counter

Just copy and paste each line manually to see how many characters each line is. This is handy as it helps you find the ranks of your compositions when 3ML or some other program won't read it for you.

???? - "ML" (also known as MabiMML)

A Japanese Site where people usually obtain [coughstealcough] anime and game compositions. It's nice... Even I use it occasionally. I don't recommend you take compositions from here all the time. Actually try to compose your own stuff. It's really really really annoying to hear generic songs from this site.

Mabinogi - FREE Fantasy Life - NA Mabinogi Composer Website from Nexon

Lame composer but it helps if you need to listen to your compositions... I so hate this though... Extremely simplistic and doesn't come with all the nifty features you wish it did.

Web MML Composing tool - Lorelei: Mabinogi MML posting site. - Lorelei Web MML Composing Tool

An alternative to the one provided by Nexon.

Mabinogi World Wiki - Mabinogi World Wiki

This has more in-depth information on the skills etc. It's a nice read. Go and take a look.
    If anyone wants me to add anything specific, then come and tell me and I'll work on it.

I also DEMAND I keep my EDIT button for this long thing! >:[
    Last edited by Kaxiyu; 05-26-2010 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Formatting and Links

Nakishu is friends with Cichol Nakishu is friends with Cichol Nakishu is friends with Cichol Nakishu is friends with Cichol Nakishu is friends with Cichol Nakishu is friends with Cichol Nakishu is friends with Cichol
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    Kyletwi
    Total Level
    36XX
    Race
    Giant
    Talent
    Music
    Guild
    Reflex
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    Woah.. That's in-depth...
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor View Post
    i typically hit on everyone i find that's cute on tumblr via ask box
    and when i discovered gay porn tumblrs, my dashboard became... flooded wit dix...

Mabination User Kaxiyu has just left the soul stream
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    Actually... There's a ton of details I missed (mostly due to laziness in writing this)... But that's beyond the point... >.>;;;

+ Reply to Thread