+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sword Girls Online Enters Closed Beta. MMORPG +Dungeons + Trading Cards

Just Puurrfect
    BobYoMeowMeow has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann BobYoMeowMeow has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann BobYoMeowMeow has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann BobYoMeowMeow has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann BobYoMeowMeow has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann BobYoMeowMeow has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann BobYoMeowMeow has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann BobYoMeowMeow has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann BobYoMeowMeow has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann BobYoMeowMeow has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann BobYoMeowMeow has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann BobYoMeowMeow's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    KR Mabi
    Playing?
    Retired
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    KR - Mabinogi Heroes
    Type
    Fiona
    Playing?
    Retired
    Gold

Sword Girls Online Enters Closed Beta. MMORPG +Dungeons + Trading Cards

Zeonix is no stranger to online trading card games. After reasonably successful runs with Fantasy Masters and Ragnarok TCG, the company set out to create one of the deepest online card games on the market with impressive strides in both gameplay and deck building as well as some top-notch anime artwork.

Sword Girls Online entered closed beta this month and, from what I’ve seen so far, they’re well on their way to delivering on those promises and releasing one of the most involved and addicting card games I've ever played.

Sword Girls Online (Flash)
    Developer: Zeonix
    Publisher: Chang You
    To be released: TBA

If you’ve ever played a trading card game, you’ve got a solid idea of how this all works. Gather cards, build a deck, defeat opponents, and repeat. What breaks up that cycle, however, is the deck-building process. You’ve got the option to purchase cards. At the moment, game tokens cost $0.01 each with pre-built decks coming in at 500 tokens ($5) and single cards at $0.35. Alternatively, cards can be constructed by combining materials found in the game's dungeons. These are earned after every battle, regardless of the result. Even if you lose, you’ll earn something so that next time you might have more of a chance. More often than not, it can be hard to progress in games like this when losing only reduces your odds of winning next time. Thankfully, that’s hardly an issue in Sword Girls.

Customizing your deck goes beyond just buying/crafting cards. Each card can be trained and, eventually, upgraded. Training individual cards earns points that are ultimately spent on an upgrade for that card.
    It’s a fairly deep system, but it can be tedious. Training a card takes a minimum of six hours, and with no system in place to sort out cards that have or have not received training it can be a chore just finding a particular card amongst the sea of duplicates and distractingly beautiful anime portraits.
    In support of the main training and creating facets, you can send character cards out to collect materials over a set period of hours, break down unused duplicates for more materials, and trade excess of one material for some of another.

Again, it’s all just the slightest bit tedious. At times it can feel like a Facebook game, albeit a top-shelf Facebook game, with the way menus are set up and the frequent instances of “wait six hours” to complete a task. Getting lost in the processes and menus as a beginner is to be expected but, once it’s all said and done, a solid deck is worth the effort.

For every ten minutes of play time, I probably spent 30 tweaking my cards, changing characters, or browsing the shop. The act of building your deck is a time sink, but the gameplay is definitely an adequate payoff for the time spent in customization. At no point did I feel that I had wasted time, even when I sent my character camping for a few hours while I left my browser up and grabbed lunch. It all pays off in the end.

The combat itself is deceptively strategic. With your character card taking up their post in the center, you have six slots available for follower cards (the front line) and spell cards. Each of these cards has a designated size and your on-field cards cannot exceed a total size of ten. Obviously, more powerful cards will have a higher size and will most likely be less common while weaker, smaller cards are practically throwaways.

On the surface, strategy is negligible. I spent the first hour or so of my play time just clicking cards ... and I won a few matches. After a while though, it became clear that you have to optimize not only the cards on the field, but the cards in your hand as well. As followers are destroyed, your character will lose health equal to their sizes. This further enforces the balance between strong and weak cards. I found that more often than not, a full field of weak cards could deal respectable damage without taking too much of a toll on your own health.

My first thought was that Sword Girls was more of a deck-building sim than it was a card battle game. To the contrary, deck building was emphasized to allow for a more streamlined battle experience. Developer Zeonix put it this way: “Deck construction is so important because there is no room for useless, or should I say, cards that don’t synergize well with your deck’s theme or overall strategy.” The gameplay is so quick, you have to build your deck with a certain degree of precision to be able to perform well, and their options definitely allow for that.

The single-player “Dungeon” portions are varied, and there are plenty of them. A handful of difficulty levels, each with their own selection of dungeons and boss characters equate to a good deal of single-player content. Right off the bat, I noticed that each AI opponent I faced utilized different strategies. The boss of the first beginner level dungeon was plenty of challenge for me, but they promise that “later dungeon bosses are absolutely ridiculous to beat.” I can’t wait.

While the AI is more than formidable, I found the PvP to be particularly exciting. Intentionally difficult programs are tough, but nothing presents more of a challenge then a knowledgeable, prepared human opponent. Pairing yourself up with a random opponent is simple enough; clicking “fight” instantly throws you into a queue where there are plenty of rabid players ready to show you just how bad you are at the game. That said, I totally wasn’t bad at the game ... nope.
    All of the gameplay is benefited by the immense accessibility of the game. As it's a flash-based browser game, you can play it from any flash-enabled device; phones, tablets, etc. I asked if there were any plans for a 3DS/Vita release and the response was simple: "Our focus right now is to bring the best online card game experience to the Western market." Part of me is really interested in seeing this type of game on the 3DS. Fingers crossed.

While the modern trading card game may be staling after years of copy/paste variants of whatever anime happens to be hot at the moment, Sword Girls looks to be making good on its promises to refresh the genre. The deck building is every bit as in depth as I'd hoped (borderline addictive) and even though it's just getting started, there's plenty of content to hold your attention. With the next phase of the beta launching next month, I'm excited to see where Zeonix takes it.
    http://www.destructoid.com/preview-s...e-214239.phtml

the cat wants to try it
    and the cards arent ridiculously expensive like Yugioh and Magic the Gathering
    Only $0.01 for card tokens
    premade decks are $5
    and individuals cost up to $0.35 max
     OHAIYO
    FFXIV

Why Am I Still Here? Paul is friends with Cichol Paul is friends with Cichol Paul is friends with Cichol Paul is friends with Cichol Paul is friends with Cichol Paul is friends with Cichol Paul is friends with Cichol Paul's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    Paul
    Total Level
    ~2000
    Race
    Human
    Playing?
    Retired
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    Any Dungeon gameplay videos? If it's just card game, I wont bother.

psyal the Mabination seal breaker psyal the Mabination seal breaker psyal's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    None
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    It's a card game with neat pictures. That being said, it's somewhat of an odd card game.
    All the cards can be made, but doing so is extremely resource draining, and would take a long time to gather resources.
    Though, that's all I saw from the CB, so it might or might not become easier to make things.
    IGN: Psidragyn
    Feel free to say hi, I'm not that crazy.
    Only somewhat.

Just Puurrfect
    BobYoMeowMeow has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann BobYoMeowMeow has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann BobYoMeowMeow has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann BobYoMeowMeow has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann BobYoMeowMeow has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann BobYoMeowMeow has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann BobYoMeowMeow has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann BobYoMeowMeow has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann BobYoMeowMeow has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann BobYoMeowMeow has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann BobYoMeowMeow has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann BobYoMeowMeow's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    KR Mabi
    Playing?
    Retired
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    KR - Mabinogi Heroes
    Type
    Fiona
    Playing?
    Retired
    Gold
    the cat just hopes that there's some sort of motive to keep playing like a set of free cards each week or something
     OHAIYO
    FFXIV

whocares8128 the Mabination seal breaker whocares8128 the Mabination seal breaker whocares8128's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Mari
    Race
    Elf
    Playing?
    Retired
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus East
    Character
    Ellyna
    Type
    Evie
    Level
    Guild
    Ludus Magnus
    Playing?
    Playing NA Vindictus
    Gold
    Oh my, some of those pictures...

A Typical
    Juno the all-knowing Juno the all-knowing Juno the all-knowing Juno the all-knowing Juno the all-knowing Juno the all-knowing Juno's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    Shizuhara
    Total Level
    Race
    Giant
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    Seriously?

Sword Girls is an acceptable name for a game now? Really?

I mean it looks good and I love card games (especially the deck building) so I'll play it but...so...sad...
    Last edited by Juno; 11-01-2011 at 10:37 PM.
    ~Selling Holy Water in Bulk, Note Shizuhara~
    Breaking Even . Last Updated: February the 4th
    I willingly believe that the damned are, in one sense, successful, rebels to the end; that the doors of hell are locked on the inside. - C. S. Lewis

Just Puurrfect
    Mabinogi
    Server
    KR Mabi
    Playing?
    Retired
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    KR - Mabinogi Heroes
    Type
    Fiona
    Playing?
    Retired
    Gold
    Sword Girls Closed Beta 2 is coming soon
    they will offer free money for cards during the beta

there's over 500 cards and a crafting system
    http://www.swordgirlsonline.com/

Like them on facebook for a closed beta key
    an email will be sent with the key when closed beta comes out
    Last edited by BobYoMeowMeow; 11-01-2011 at 11:37 PM.
     OHAIYO
    FFXIV

psyal the Mabination seal breaker psyal the Mabination seal breaker psyal's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    None
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    Or just enter your email on their site for the key.
    IGN: Psidragyn
    Feel free to say hi, I'm not that crazy.
    Only somewhat.

HORA HORA! Meiji is friends with Cichol Meiji is friends with Cichol Meiji is friends with Cichol Meiji is friends with Cichol Meiji is friends with Cichol Meiji is friends with Cichol Meiji's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Alexina
    Character
    Miju
    Race
    Elf
    Guild
    GOAWAY
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    Playing to save the pictures on my folder.

the Master Otaku Chihaya the shadow hero Chihaya the shadow hero Chihaya the shadow hero Chihaya the shadow hero Chihaya's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Tarlach
    Character
    Askme
    Total Level
    59xx
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Starlet
    Playing?
    Casual
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    For the people who are ga-ga about the card pictures, I'll bet anything they created that on PaintToolSai in like, a few minutes

(Meaning it's not a big deal)

Nonetheless, I was a big fan of card games (BRING ON THE YU-GI-OH AND POKEMON) at 11th grade when I was young, So let's see how this game turns out to be. I signed up for a key for Closed Beta
    Playing Solonogi, Tenhou, and LOTS of eroge.
    Profile Song: Clover Days (PM Me for a Download Link)
     Signature

Click on the banner to visit my VN/Eroge Blog

+ Reply to Thread