+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: >Everyone has opinions

The Red Fox Slayerj the shadow hero Slayerj the shadow hero Slayerj the shadow hero Slayerj the shadow hero Slayerj's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Magic
    Guild
    Outlaw
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    I find protection so much better at end game. If I could just get 10-20% I'd be happy. Defense is wounderfull too, but mainly only at the start. Once your running Hard mode stuff, they just seem to ignore your defense, still hitting 100s+ on me. @,@ Even sometimes though my giants rank 5 defense... I wish ranking windbreaker would give us 5 more def and 5 more protection at rank 1. T,T Anyway, that's my opionon.

Renzato is a friend of Nora Renzato is a friend of Nora Renzato is a friend of Nora Renzato's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    Renzato
    Guild
    Simply
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    I haven't used Defense in who-knows-how-long; much less remember the last time it was actually on my hotkey bar. Ranked it because well...just because. I guess I can see it being somewhat useful in lower difficulty missions/dungeons where the mobs don't hit high. I'd rather have things geared towards doing more damage compared to being geared towards defense/protection - take them out before they have a chance to touch you.

Mabination User
    Xeno the strong Xeno the strong Xeno the strong Xeno the strong Xeno the strong Xeno's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Mari
    Character
    Calisto
    Total Level
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Archery
    Guild
    Pariah
    Playing?
    Casual
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    Mana shield is obviously where it's at. Protection/def I never "try" for, and it's not worth trying for at all imo. Your def/prot should come with your other gear.

永遠夢を閉じ込め �� �� EndlessDreams has tamed a desert dragon EndlessDreams has tamed a desert dragon EndlessDreams has tamed a desert dragon EndlessDreams has tamed a desert dragon EndlessDreams has tamed a desert dragon EndlessDreams has tamed a desert dragon EndlessDreams has tamed a desert dragon EndlessDreams has tamed a desert dragon EndlessDreams's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    None
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    Protection/Defense is great for like weaker mobs like fighting Bandits and Hardmode missions. Having extra protection is nice to reduce injury and critical rates. It isn't too effective against very strong monsters from elite missions and some master bandits like other people said.

I find that having ping just as important as defense/protection against a lot of scenarios.

Rich Powerful and Crazy Splatulated is a master of the Mabinogion Splatulated is a master of the Mabinogion Splatulated is a master of the Mabinogion Splatulated is a master of the Mabinogion Splatulated is a master of the Mabinogion Splatulated is a master of the Mabinogion Splatulated is a master of the Mabinogion Splatulated is a master of the Mabinogion Splatulated is a master of the Mabinogion Splatulated is a master of the Mabinogion Splatulated is a master of the Mabinogion Splatulated's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Alexina
    Character
    Splatulated
    Total Level
    10xx
    Race
    Elf
    Talent
    Magic
    Guild
    Troopguild
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    how do you gain def/prot ?
     #F7FDF5

The Omni-Hybrid Romanji the dragon knight Romanji the dragon knight Romanji the dragon knight Romanji the dragon knight Romanji's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Alexina
    Character
    Romanji
    Total Level
    95XX
    Race
    Giant
    Talent
    Ninja
    Guild
    Mldnightcrew
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus East
    Character
    Romanji
    Type
    Evie
    Level
    Guild
    Saphron
    Playing?
    Playing NA Vindictus
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Splatulated View Post
    with def ranks and equipment and enchants

>EDIT: In trans I can get my protection to around 40~50 with clothes and accessories... and my def to around 60+ with armors or my def enchanted moon charms... it aint hard...
    especially since i wear a reactive RA uniform...

And my mana shield is r8 with 450ish base int... but without my def and prot i'd probably still bite the dust when facing down HM golems and their spammy aggro rate...

I've gotten into several arguments about def/prot vs mana shield... when I'm not even arguing Im just saying its useful, and even better in conjunction.
    Last edited by Romanji; 04-12-2012 at 12:55 PM.
    Journal Score (6150)
    Mldnightcrew Currently recruiting
    Ty Starpaw<3

GODZILLA has slain a prairie dragon GODZILLA has slain a prairie dragon GODZILLA has slain a prairie dragon GODZILLA has slain a prairie dragon GODZILLA has slain a prairie dragon GODZILLA has slain a prairie dragon GODZILLA has slain a prairie dragon GODZILLA's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Tarlach
    Character
    Guyverunit4
    Total Level
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Lance Combat
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Playing?
    Retired
    Gold
    Manliness.

Rich Powerful and Crazy Splatulated is a master of the Mabinogion Splatulated is a master of the Mabinogion Splatulated is a master of the Mabinogion Splatulated is a master of the Mabinogion Splatulated is a master of the Mabinogion Splatulated is a master of the Mabinogion Splatulated is a master of the Mabinogion Splatulated is a master of the Mabinogion Splatulated is a master of the Mabinogion Splatulated is a master of the Mabinogion Splatulated is a master of the Mabinogion Splatulated's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Alexina
    Character
    Splatulated
    Total Level
    10xx
    Race
    Elf
    Talent
    Magic
    Guild
    Troopguild
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyverunit4 View Post
    Manliness.
    not helpful .-. my character is female XD
     #F7FDF5

^ Noob ^ Kenny? has tamed a desert dragon Kenny? has tamed a desert dragon Kenny? has tamed a desert dragon Kenny? has tamed a desert dragon Kenny? has tamed a desert dragon Kenny? has tamed a desert dragon Kenny? has tamed a desert dragon Kenny? has tamed a desert dragon Kenny?'s Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    Yunaiteddo
    Total Level
    3xxx
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Music
    Guild
    Dango
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Playing?
    Not interested
    Gold
    not helpful .-. my character is female XD
    How else...?
    Enchants/armor/ranking defense/ranking other skills
    asianturtle

The Great Owl
    Kaeporo has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kaeporo has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kaeporo has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kaeporo has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kaeporo has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kaeporo has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kaeporo has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kaeporo has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kaeporo has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kaeporo has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kaeporo has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kaeporo's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Alexina
    Character
    Kaeporo
    Total Level
    18xxx
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Archery
    Guild
    Historia
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    Protection is generally superior to Defense. It reduces more incoming damage than defense when your character receives over 100 damage in a single hit. It also reduces the opponent's critical hit rate, which can save you from some crippling blows.

If you're genuinely concerned about improving your survivability, you may have to choose between the two. It's often not as simple as choosing between a single point of defense or protection. Some enchants and upgrades give both while some give more of one than the other.

You can reduce incoming damage when using Wings of Eclipse to zero with enough defense but protection might just prevent a massive loss of skill experience by preventing critical hits.

Realistically this game revolves around offensive play. If you're actually considering some defensive options you had better be a mage or your damage output will suffer greatly. Mages have comparatively few magic damage enchants available to them and often overkill opponents at a slower rate of attack than other characters.

+ Reply to Thread