Guide by Sooni, please reclaim them from me! Thanks!
In my version of Mabinogi, Banghor's always full of people for one reason. Training Refining and Black Smithing. Collecting Ores and turning them into a Shining new Weapon/Armour Refining is a true beauty of skill and Black Smithing can't be done without this skill.
The reason why users train this skill is because not only are they trying to create weapons and armours its the efficiency of stat points with least usage of AP points. The bad part about this skill is that the majority of Experiance comes through failing! Now from this guide you'll learn how to Refine like a true master.
If your not rich and your a Trainee Refiner Mining is a Must.
Marit that Rocks have
Refining can be put to two parts. Mining and Smelting. However even when your Refining skill is at numbered ranks theres a large amounts of ores wanted / needed amongst the users, for rich players they just buy it because they can.
In order to mine Ores you must enter Bari Dungeon located within Banghor. If you put your offering ( can be anything ) you enter the Dungeon. Fight your way through until you find a Mining spot. Hold your pickaxe and Lets get digging!
Now lets Start Smelting.
The Smelting system is very simple. Place your ores that you mined / bought in your inventory and talk to NPC Shawn / Sean and activate the machine and hold your ore into your left hand and put the ores in and in return you get a Ingot.
CAUTION - 5 Ores means 1 Ingot, so even if you put 20 Ores and smelt it you still end up with 1 Ingot, so you must put only 5 ores at a time.
Failure - Even when you fall theres still something you get!
If you've read my Weaving guide you should know how happy you get when you succeed, however for Refining you should learn the taste of bitterness in failing refining. Refining is a bit different from other skills, theres more excitement from failing instead of succeeding because the most important experiance in refining comes from failing to refine, so make sure to keep your Dex at lowest possible.
Following that Weaving is a skill where you want the highest possible because you dont want to lose your hard gained materials through losing, so you always follow the route of highest Dex possible because you dont want to lose your precious materials then you already have. However for refining the only way to train it is through failing, so you may want to prepare your self for a massive loss of your materials. So when refining it may be the best of idea to Mine your own materials instead of buying them like all other players because it costs alot of money.
To fail smelting very easily you must deduct your Dexterity points. Refinings succession rate depends on how high your Dexterity is and what rank your Product making is, so if you have the lowest possible Dex your probability of succeeding by alot.
Now lets see which items and Titles give you the most loss of Dexterity.
Title : Experianced Death
Defense, Max hp up by 5, Max Stamina decreased by 5, Intellect, Dexterity Decreased by 30 points!! <=== this is alot
Food : BNR (Basic is 5 Stars)
Max Hp 45 Increase, STR 27 Increase, LUCK 18 Increase, Intellect, Dexterity 11 Deduct
ScareCrow Enchant: D Rank, Dex 6~9 Decrease
Full option Scarecrow set including shield is -63 Dex is a defident possibility.
(thank you both Paladin, and mystickzkye for this information on being able to put it on accesory)
"Stiff" Tail Hat(9 Rank)
When Lightning Bolt is above A rank Dex is decreased by 10, When smash is above 9 rank Max hurt rate is increased by 10, Critical +10
SilverFox Set (9Rank)
Only can be enchanted to items that includes steel / iron. Dex decreased by 20, When Eye of Order is above B rank the Max damage is increased by 6, When spirit of order is above B rank the Least Damage is increased by 2
When properly used along ScareCrow Set the full option could be -134 Dex
1) Only buy what you can afford, Dont over work your self because SilverFox Enchant is a drop off Peaca and can be incredibly expansive so buy cheap items such as BNR, Experianced Death title, and ScareCrow set to decrease your Dexterity by as much as possible.
I used My character which was without any title 132 Dex and i used only Title, BNR and Scarecrow set to lower it to 43!
Next up is Training Refining!.
Practice Rank, F Rank, E rank, D rank.
- "Succesfully make Iron Ingot" is way more then enough to get through these ranks. So you want to lessen the amount of Fails you get! so make a party and if its monday thats great! So lessen your amount of fails within these ranks so you dont have to worry and get through these ranks like a breeze in summer.
B Rank, C Rank Bronze Ore Smelting
- After C Rank you can smelt Bronze ores, instead of looking at "succesfully make Bronze Ingot" you want to be looking at "Fail to make Bronze ingot" instead. So wear your Dex decreasing set until you finish your training in Failing to make Bronze Ingot, This is also a way to lessen your ores spent!. after that you can finish off whats left of your experiance with "Succesfully creating Bronze Ingot"
A Rank, 9 Rank
- After A Rank your Refining Centers around Silver, and Bronze. Succesfully Creating Both Bronze ingot and Silver ingot to maximum of training numbers possible, then fail all of Silver ores Refining and then lastly fail 18 times on bronze ingot to finish A rank training. For 9 Rank Succesfully create both Bronze and Silver ingots to its maximum listed then fail all of Silver ingor creation and fail 20 times on Bronze ingot to finish your Training.
- Starting of 8 Rank your Refining centers around Gold ore, and Silver ore. just like A rank and 9 Rank. Make sure to Succesfully Create both Gold and Silver ores first then completely fail all of gold ore then fail 18 times on Silver ore.
- 7 Ranks training is same thing as 8 Rank training, however the experiance rate which gives off for succeeding is lowered by a little bit, so what you need to do is fail all of Gold, Silver and Bronze ore then succesfully create a ingot for last bit of experiance.
- Beginning of 6 Rank is where true harship comes because from this point on it'll start focusing around mithril, Mithril smelting and failing follows around the user until 1st Rank, so if you have leftovers after your done training of one of the ranks lets save up for future uses. 6 Rank training requires Failing all of Mithril, Gold then Succesfully creating all of Mithril, Gold, and Silver should be enough to get you to 5 Rank.
In middle of Generation 2 Quest theres a keyword you get about "Mithril Mine" make sure to talk to Gilmore in Banghor about this keyward and get this pass to Bari dungeon's Mithril mine.
- After 5 Rank the skill rank enables you to create a "Plate". A plate is created by you holding a ingot in one hand and smelting it. After you fail all of mithril, fail 16 times on gold, and succesfully create both mithril and gold and after finally create rest of the exp you are missing with iron plate.
- 4 Rank is unusually easy for its rank, After you succesfully create all of Bronze plate Fail 16 times on Mithril, then succeed all of mithril ingot and succeed 20 times on Gold ore to finish this rank.
- 3 Rank, Fail all of Mithril, Succesfully Create all of Mithril and Silver Plate, and finish it up with 50 Gold plates.
- This is Probably THE hardest rank i came up across in Refining. Fail all of Mithril, and Succesfully create all of Gold plate, Mithril, Gold ingot, Silver ingot. however even if you finish all these all you get it experiance of 94! I know its hard for you to touch Iron and Bronze again, But lets push through and finish this like the profession you already are!.
If you finish the Harships of training 2nd rank You "CAN" reach rank 1 Refining.
Right as this point Refining has been used by alot of archers for Least amount of AP for large amount of "DEX" however The weapons that BlackSmith's create are much better then those that comes off normal stores so Refiners have good hopes of coming back.
Many people say If refining isnt rank 1 theres no point of getting this skill, Because at end of Rank 2 when your advancing to Rank 1 you get whole +10 DEX! theres a good enough reason right there for any person to get refining for all those users out there hungry for more Dex. However in reality Refining's per AP's Dexterity is 0.679 and after 2nd rank 0.604 so theres only 0.075 difference. so you may want to take a breath and see if this is really the path you want to walk for your AP. Think carefully before you get this skill!