Talent
    Archery
    Guild
    Regulars
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    So after reading through the thread on the Nexon forums and this one, I think that everyone needs to just chill the frick out for a second and think about what this system REALLY implies, because I think if you give it some thought you'll realize that there probably isn't as much concern needed as there is currently.

Here's how I interpret this, and if this is correct (and if it's handled correctly when it's implemented officially) then I think this change will be a good thing. Okay so lets break this down. First off, we need to set G13 as a "threshhold." So there's two things really, pre-G13 and post-G13. We are currently pre-G13, so let's take the overall potential of a pre-G13 character and map it out numerically:

Pre-G13 character
    Melee Potential: 100%
    Ranged Potential: 100%
    Magic Potential: 100%
    Alchemy Potential: 100%
    Production Potential: 100%

Of course, the 100% is just an arbitrary number and you could use any number or variable for it, I just chose 100% because it's easy to work with. Now, after the implementation of the class system, it sounds like it ends up being something like this (the bonuses and penalities are just made up numbers to illustrate what I mean):

Adventurer:
    Melee Potential: 100%
    Ranged Potential: 100%
    Magic Potential: 100%
    Alchemy Potential: 100%
    Production Potential: 100%

Bard:
    Melee Potential: 70%
    Ranged Potential: 160%
    Magic Potential: 80%
    Alchemy Potential: 90%
    Production Potential: 50%

Knight:
    Melee Potential: 200%
    Ranged Potential: 60%
    Magic Potential: 30%
    Alchemy Potential: 70%
    Production Potential: 50%

Etc, etc. So essentially, if you choose adventurer you can stay as your current self who has access to everything skill and combat style-wise, but if you want to specialize in something, you can get a good boost to one area for a sacrifice in other areas. If you think about it this way, it's really an expansion of our current system, rather than a rebuild of it. It's not like anyone is losing skills that they already have, since you can pick your class every time you rebirth. You just lose the ability to use certain skills as a certain class, sorta like how you can't used Charge without a shield (sans Giants) or Intermediate Magic without a wand. You could also draw the comparison to the whole race deal. Humans are even in everything, but choosing Elf or Giant will give you bonuses in some areas and penalties in others. It's sorta the same idea, but on a much grander scale. So really, if the system worked like this, then players who have Rank 1 everything won't feel much of a change; their character will still be able to do everything and use every skill at all times as an Adventurer. However, for those who do not have Rank 1 everything and have even yet to reach a stage where their character can be called a true hybrid, then this could be a good thing. You can pick a class that gives bonuses to the combat field you're specialized in currently and take penalties in a field that you have no development in anyways.

With this system though, it DOES imply that as more and more generations are implemented past G13 and more and more specialized skills are added, it is possible for adventurers to fall behind the other classes. That's why I mentioned earlier that this system needs to be treated carefully and correctly. I think as long as future updates maintain the power balance between the classes in the manner that I exemplified up there with the %'s, then this system could be a very good thing. Just my 2 cents on this, and some food for thought for you guys. Again to reiterate, I simply think this has the POTENTIAL to be good if it's handled correctly. It could also just as easily DESTROY Mabinogi as we know it if done incorrectly.
    Last edited by Melchinoir; 07-24-2010 at 11:39 PM.

Level: 16xx
    Critical Hit (Master) | Magnum Shot (一 Master) | Elf Ranged Attack (二 Master) | Windmill (一 Master)
    Metallurgy (1) | Playing Instrument (1) | Production Mastery (1) | Refining (1) | Weaving (1)
    Barrier Spikes (5) | Metal Conversion (4)
    Fury of Connous (1) | Elven Magic Missile (1) | Sharpness of Connous (1)

Zid is a Nation Alchemist Zid is a Nation Alchemist Zid is a Nation Alchemist Zid is a Nation Alchemist Zid is a Nation Alchemist Zid is a Nation Alchemist Zid is a Nation Alchemist Zid is a Nation Alchemist Zid is a Nation Alchemist
    Mabinogi
    Server
    None
    Playing?
    Not interested
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Osayidan View Post
    So switching between classes at rebirths doesn't kill your skills that you already have? If I have r1 in 2 advanced magics and go Knight for a week, if I go back to adventurer those magic skills will be there waiting for me?

That's basically all I care about. Restricting content from people like this is ridiculous if people who don't want to loose their skills are forced to stay adventurer. Especially if going on the other ones is required at some point for quests.

But if it isn't a permanent loss of skills I don't care a single bit about this whole situation, much like any of the G's since G2.
    I'm assuming you'll get to keep your efforts and progresses on every skill. Thus, you won't lose your progress on, say, r9 Windmill if you decide to go Wizard for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Toujirou View Post
    Has there been any information related to race/class restrictions? Being a melee elf.. can i be an elf knight? blah i still dont like this change one bit.
    I'm sure any race can be any class. And Elf can be in the Knight class. Though this would blur the line between race specialties more. Race was a way to specialize specific skills; this class system both further and shortens that specialization, depending on what race you are.

By the way, if any of you want to know where the archer class is, all Ranged specialties belong to the Bard class. I'm assuming Merchant is Life skill related.

Plus, they shouldn't have called the melee class the "Knight". It interferes with the names of "Knight of Light" and Dark Knights. Seriously? A Merchant that can transfer into a Holy Knight? >_>;

What I'm concerned about is if the new Korean guy will go so far as to add "tier" to the classes.

The Knight of Fail Serathx the noob elemental master Serathx's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Mari
    Character
    Serathx
    Total Level
    12xx
    Race
    Human
    Guild
    Pamplemousse
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus West
    Character
    Chronaeon
    Type
    Evie
    Level
    Guild
    Recettear
    Playing?
    Playing NA Vindictus
    Gold
    Well, it IS optional, so I don't mind too much.
    People who like class roles but also like Mabi can choose a class and be happy.
    People who don't like class roles and play Mabi because of that reason can be happy too. Capiche?

If you're on Mabi, feel free to add me, I don't bite~ Just tell me who you are in advance.
    GOALS:
    R1 FH [x] G12 Finished [G10] Bat Dress [ ] Stop lagging [x!]

starpaw7 has disabled reputation starpaw7's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    Starpaw7
    Total Level
    SUPER
    Race
    Human
    Guild
    Oddblock
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    I wonder if you will be able to switch classes with a free Rebirth

Signature

Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Mari
    Character
    Serathx
    Total Level
    12xx
    Race
    Human
    Guild
    Pamplemousse
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus West
    Character
    Chronaeon
    Type
    Evie
    Level
    Guild
    Recettear
    Playing?
    Playing NA Vindictus
    Gold
    ^ Probably. Otherwise it'd be a bit troublesome.

If you're on Mabi, feel free to add me, I don't bite~ Just tell me who you are in advance.
    GOALS:

Mabination User User495 the lazy
    Mabinogi
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    also I'm assuming when they said Adv magic they mean only magic like Hailstorm

cause technically what we have as Adv magic is Intermediate to them?

Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Mari
    Character
    Serathx
    Total Level
    12xx
    Race
    Human
    Guild
    Pamplemousse
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus West
    Character
    Chronaeon
    Type
    Evie
    Level
    Guild
    Recettear
    Playing?
    Playing NA Vindictus
    Gold
    ...Wait...only Knights get Down Attack?
    Ugh, I'm confused. I'll wait until we get more translated-without-Google Translate info.

GOALS:

The Wandering Vagabond Drifter has just left the soul stream Drifter's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Alexina
    Character
    Cook
    Total Level
    Race
    Human
    Guild
    Cuchullain
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus West
    Character
    Taren
    Type
    Lann
    Level
    Guild
    Creed
    Playing?
    Retired
    Gold
    Sounds good, but the only beef I have with it is the having to be a bard to get a ranged boost :/
    I guess knight seems cool...

Mabination User rinaek has just left the soul stream
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    Solestra
    Race
    Human
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    ...this could very well mean that the adv. magic nerf is going to be in place, and the only way to get around it is to go wizard, lose windmill, and throw 1200 AP into mastery skills. Otherwise, the current mages with maxed out adv. magic damage will probably have very little incentive to change classes.

Blaze isn't an elemental skill, does it get a mastery?

Also: ? ????? - ? ?????. ?
    This website has the announcement in Korean.
    If you stick this into google translate (assuming you can't read Korean, like a lot of people), you'll see quite a few comments raging about this. :D

Lan is a Nation Alchemist Lan is a Nation Alchemist Lan is a Nation Alchemist Lan is a Nation Alchemist Lan is a Nation Alchemist Lan is a Nation Alchemist Lan is a Nation Alchemist Lan is a Nation Alchemist Lan is a Nation Alchemist Lan's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Mari
    Character
    Lan
    Total Level
    18XX
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Close Combat
    Playing?
    Retired
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus East
    Character
    Aduro
    Type
    Lann
    Level
    Playing?
    Retired
    The place where the air makes my face hurt.
    Gold
    This could be good, or very bad.
    Don’t wish death on your enemies. Wish geese on them. Wish thousands of geese into their life. Geese in their yard. Geese in their car. Geese in their workplace. Geese in their bed. Tiny geese in their hair. Geese in their food. JPEGs of angry geese overtaking their computer. Turn their whole family into geese. Awful hissy mean geese everywhere. A fate worse than death.

Closed Thread