Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus East
    Character
    Artelus
    Gold

Refiners chat

Kay...I'm ranking refining on my main just cuz I want dex and I know if I don't I'll regret it in the future...

Anywho, I'm broke now. I have a metallurgy alt with r6 metal and r1 prod mastery, so getting ores isn't much of a challenge. But now that I'm at r6 refining more and more rare ores (silver, gold) are needed, which I don't have much of (especially silver >_>)

I do have a somewhat huge stockpile of Mythril and copper/iron ingots though... And my giant's inventory is full of gems and nothing else, but I don't know whether to feed them to my ego or sell them (most are under 3cm)

So yeah, it feels great getting refining out of the picture. What rank should I stop? I really doubt I'd be able to reach rank 1. I'm just trying to get to rank 5 right now so I can use up all the ingots that I've been stocking up on my pets. After that, I'll probably stop...

Though if I stop, is it possible to reach the fabled 200+ dex? I don't really plan on doing handicraft or weaving... :S I just can't wait to be done with refining so I can work on ranged attack.
    Artel [Mari]

the pro Blassreiter has tamed a desert dragon Blassreiter has tamed a desert dragon Blassreiter has tamed a desert dragon Blassreiter has tamed a desert dragon Blassreiter has tamed a desert dragon Blassreiter has tamed a desert dragon Blassreiter has tamed a desert dragon Blassreiter has tamed a desert dragon Blassreiter's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    BIassreiter
    Total Level
    Race
    Giant
    Talent
    Gunslinger
    Guild
    N/A
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus East
    Character
    Taunes
    Type
    Karok
    Level
    Playing?
    Retired
    Gold
    If you seriously, honestly do not care about high ranged damage, then you do not have to get Refine rank 1. But don't forget if you don't do it now, then later you might want higher damage and it will be hard to train Refine with high dex/Production Mastery. I'm a Giant with rank 1 Weaving/Refine/PM and rank B handicraft currently level 30, 16 exploration, age 17 with 193 Dex. As you can see with rank 1 refine I barely have 200 Dex, however I'm a giant with no ranged skills giving like 50+ Dex.

You don't seem like someone who would grind skills but I would just tell you to get Refine to rank 1. You don't have to if you don't want to. People get rank 1 so they can wield 0 Balance weapons and do very high damage in ranged so it's your choice.

Zid is a Nation Alchemist Zid is a Nation Alchemist Zid is a Nation Alchemist Zid is a Nation Alchemist Zid is a Nation Alchemist Zid is a Nation Alchemist Zid is a Nation Alchemist Zid is a Nation Alchemist Zid is a Nation Alchemist
    Mabinogi
    Server
    None
    Playing?
    Not interested
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    I wouldn't stop. It's very possible to reach r1 Refining doing nothing but just Metallurgy (r5 Metallurgy is the best bang while keeping your Dex gain low). To give an example, I got from rF to r1 Refining with r5 Metallurgy in 2 weeks. You'll have to keep sifting non-stop throughout the day though.

I guess if you really want to stop, most people will say r2 after you finished your Mythril fails. And yes, you can reach 200 Dex without ranking Handicraft/Weaving, but it's going to be very hard, since you're basically denying yourself at most 57 Dex.

Mabination User wolfram the noob elemental master
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Mari
    Character
    Wolframhart
    Total Level
    3XXX
    Race
    Human
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    The hardest rank for refine is rank 2. That is where your AP spent on refine is at is best AP to Dex ratio. Once you spend the 10 ap to get to rank 1, the ratio actually goes down. I would recommend if you want to stop to shoot for rank 2.

Protip for Refine.
    Buy your ores, you mention that you have lots of copper ores. Now as your on the Mari Server: Seeing as how copper ores are the most commonly found ores with metallurgy, take your huge stack of copper ores. Make ingots out of them, and sell them at 15-20k a stack. Most likely an enterprising Mabinogian will buy them up to convert them into silver ingots, but this is about you profiting. Moving on.

Take your new found money, and find the Guild CS Inc. I usually find them around channel 3. Their guild stone if i remember correctly is around Dunny, on the West Side of the Fields, may take a bit of hunting, but its there. They are a supplying/production guild. I've never used them personally, but one of my guild member has, and they have great rates. He was able to buy silver ores from them at the great low price of 9k a stack.
    (Wish i knew about that when I was doing refine). With your new found gold from copper ingots, set up an order through CS Inc, and good luck refining.

It might take a while, but you can just buy up all the copper ores from the bots and do this too.

Panda. Science is a Nation Alchemist Science is a Nation Alchemist Science is a Nation Alchemist Science is a Nation Alchemist Science is a Nation Alchemist Science is a Nation Alchemist Science is a Nation Alchemist Science is a Nation Alchemist Science is a Nation Alchemist Science is a Nation Alchemist Science's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Tarlach
    Character
    Maoru
    Guild
    Sake
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus East
    Character
    Egesta
    Type
    Kai
    Level
    π
    Playing?
    Playing NA Vindictus
    Gold
    Don't buy your ores at all unless you have enough money to get to Rank 1. If you see your quick progress while buying and see your slower progress when actually hunting ores, you'll probably quit seeing how slow it is in relativity... If you really want to be a good archer though, you need to raise Refine. It's a good 36 dex iirc, and even if you don't focus on archery, it'll help your melee immensely too. 0% balance weapons have arguably the most damage out of all, so it works out either way.

tl;dr Get R1 Refine ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Zid View Post
    I wouldn't stop. It's very possible to reach r1 Refining doing nothing but just Metallurgy (r5 Metallurgy is the best bang while keeping your Dex gain low). To give an example, I got from rF to r1 Refining with r5 Metallurgy in 2 weeks. You'll have to keep sifting non-stop throughout the day though.

I guess if you really want to stop, most people will say r2 after you finished your Mythril fails. And yes, you can reach 200 Dex without ranking Handicraft/Weaving, but it's going to be very hard, since you're basically denying yourself at most 57 Dex.
    200 base dex is pretty easy imho. I just have R1 Refine, and I'm mostly melee, and I have 200 base on the dot at age 17+
    Last edited by Shirayuki; 07-29-2010 at 05:57 PM.

Why do I even bother... Halfslashed the golem slayer with a single blow Halfslashed's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Mari
    Character
    Halfslashed
    Total Level
    13xxx
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Gunslinger
    Guild
    Cicero
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus East
    Character
    Halfslashed
    Type
    Evie
    Level
    Guild
    Legendary Heroes
    Playing?
    Retired
    Gold
    Stop refining at r2 with mythril fails completed if it's too grindy for you. That's exactly what i'm doing right now.

Quotes

Strix Varia Crimmy the ogre slayer Crimmy's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Mari
    Character
    Crimms
    Total Level
    Race
    Elf
    Guild
    Radio
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    With the prices of ores these days, I highly recommend not buying your ores. You'll just be spending that time you saved on collecting ores trying to make back that money you lost. I made my way through R2 Refine without buying any at all.

Remember to take breaks from it as well. It can get very, very boring at times. R2 would be an efficient place to stop but personally I'm going for master title.

If you don't plan on training Blacksmith you can sell your iron ingots in the meantime too. Although I'd keep a stock of about 50 when you have to make iron plates. Save your other ingots for their plates too. I made sure to save at least 200 mythril ingots and I'm plowing right through them from making those darned plates. Also, take advantage of the daily bonus when you want to succeed. Just some quick tips.

永遠夢を閉じ込め �� �� EndlessDreams has tamed a desert dragon EndlessDreams has tamed a desert dragon EndlessDreams has tamed a desert dragon EndlessDreams has tamed a desert dragon EndlessDreams has tamed a desert dragon EndlessDreams has tamed a desert dragon EndlessDreams has tamed a desert dragon EndlessDreams has tamed a desert dragon EndlessDreams's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    None
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    If for some reason you have a high alchemy mastery, you can try doing metallurgy, metal conversion, and refine at once.

When you do metallurgy, you will notice you will get a low of unknown, iron, and copper fragments. Those can be upgraded to be silver fragments or something. I suppose fragmentation also helps here although I don't recommend it due to the low success rates unless you are breaking mythril ingots.

Also, you don't need refine to have 200+ dex. Just going around and doing your combat skills, production mastery, some life skill lower ranks here and there, and some levels are certain ages will get you 200+ dex easily. However, if you want 300+ dex, it is better for you to do refine and lifeskills.

If you want 400+ dex, you will need to do practically everything.

Cide is friends with Cichol Cide is friends with Cichol Cide is friends with Cichol Cide is friends with Cichol Cide is friends with Cichol Cide is friends with Cichol Cide is friends with Cichol Cide's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    Adriele
    Total Level
    10xx
    Race
    Elf
    Talent
    Magic
    Guild
    Odious
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Zid View Post

it's pretty possible, i have almost 240 base dex at rb with r9 weave/rC handi. one day i will conquer them, but it is extremely possible otherwise.

Homicide of Elegant || 50xx || Alexina ~ retired
    Adriele of Odious || 15xx || Ruairi

Chiri the golem slayer with a single blow Chiri's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Tarlach
    Character
    Pleinair
    Race
    Human
    Guild
    Soloist
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus East
    Character
    Sarcasm
    Type
    Fiona
    Gold
    A lot of people seem to say, stop after refine r2, mythril fails.
    Which is weird.
    You don't stop at r2-- you might take a break, but you shouldn't stop.
    Because when you rank from r2 to r1, you get a nice 10 dex and... that was the point of ranking refine in the first place.

Anyway, refine wasn't hard at all for me, though it seems like it would be more challenging to you due to your high rank production and levelled up metallurgy... Did you make yourself a -dex set?

Oh, and the copper and iron will be handy at r2, so I dunno if you really want to throw those away.

+ Reply to Thread