+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Guide on How To Self Answer Your Question

Big Llama. Ciaö the savior of Erinn Ciaö the savior of Erinn Ciaö the savior of Erinn Ciaö's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    None
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    N/A
    Gold

The Guide on How To Self Answer Your Question

I would first like to apologize for a very, very, very long thread, but i do strongly recommend you to read everything I have to say on this post, especially if you're new to Mabination, or whatever. And before I start to go into explaining how three main types of search would be very beneficial for you and whoever is going to answer your question, I would just like to raise a few points:

• Appreciating the answer'er.
    For quite a few months now, as an active answer'er here, I've realized that half of you did not actually say thank you to who ever answered your questions but simply not saying anything as if you're the queen of everything and we're your slaves, feeding you with answers. I'm not sure if it just me that felt the same way or not, but saying thank you to me, it really does make my day.

• Creating new threads for a closed question.
    I understand that you sometimes may want your questions to be answered more urgently because for whatever reason. But from my point of view, closed questions should be put in the Small Question Thread, because they do not require pages of pages of answers.
    On the other hand, an open question should never be put into the Small Question Thread. Why? It's because an open question may require pages of answers, and if there was a question or an answer to another question in the middle of it, it may be skipped and be considered as one of the answers to the open question.

• Making a thread for every small or closed question
    Again as above, small questions or closed questions should always be put in the Small Question Thread. Making tons of thread from the same person within a few hours for every single fucking question is very annoying to see and to me, I consider it as attention whoring.
    If you do have many questions on the same day, please please please please update your thread saying you have a new question, or if you cannot bothered to do that, use the Small question thread.

Like I said to every person, do a search on your question before posting. Why? It saves the asker and answerer time, the time to type it all out and answering it for you.
    So here's the guide to use the search function on Mabination, Mabinogi Wiki and the most wonderful, fabulous creation, Google.

Search 1: Mabination Search

The Mabination Search tool is very helpful especially for open questions. The chances are that your question has already been answered a few months ago, or even years ago. The chances for the question for that specific question to change are very slim; until Nexon decides to change their content.

The Search is located on the top-right hand corner, as shown below:
     Mabination Search

Let's take 'What is the one handed sword ego' as an example.
    As you may probably know that 'Sword' and 'Ego' are the keywords in that question. So let's go ahead and type that in and hit enter. Once your search has finished, you'll get 5 pages and each page contains 20 searches but only 5 percent* of the threads will then actually give you your answer.
    After looking at every title of every threads from my search, I found a thread called '1h sword ego' that will answer my question even though it's from early 2013.
    *Will vary

Note: Sometimes using the search will require you to use alternative names, use 'spirit' or 'spirit weapon' instead of ego.

Search 2: Mabinogi Wiki

The wiki contains everything you need to know about Mabinogi. It has almost every correct information up to date, and is constantly being updated and changed every day by various players. I do understand some of you do not trust the wiki because everyone with an account may update it freely without any restrictions. But then again, it has everything you need, so i do suggest you to spend your time and read every, single useful page and know where they actually belong.

Like Mabination, the Wiki also has a search function which will usually take you straight to your answer if you know what you're looking for. The search bar is located as shown below:
     Wiki Search

Again, let's do an example:
    Let's say you want to know how many dex will give you 1 more max damage to your bows.
    The wiki search is different than the Nation search because if you type that sentence, you will get a random answer instead. Therefore, you must be precise about what you put in in the search field.
    For that specific question above, you may enter 'Dex' or 'Damage' or 'Bow' to get your answer and these three will lead you to a different place but it gives you the same answer.
    Here are the three answers:
     Search 'Dex'

Search 'Damage'

Search 'Bow'

Search 3: Google Search

Google search basically extends what you can do with the Mabination Search. You can type sentences instead of keywords and still get the same answer. With Google, it does not limit you to only Mabination threads but you can also get threads from Mabidata, Nexon forums and other forums. I strongly recommend the use of Google searches because it offers more than what Mabination can offer.
    Baku suggests that if using Google to search up your questions, instead of built in search on forums, you may use the following syntax to search, which would also yield lots of interesting results you wouldn't get from forum searches:
    Code:
    1h ego sword site: mabination.com

Useful Links:
    Mabinogi Small Question Thread
    Foreign Mabinogi Small Question Thread
    Foreign Threads of Interest Thread
    Compilation of Useful Guides Thread *
    Google
    Mabinogi World Wiki
    MabiData
    Mabinogi JP Wiki **
    *Rather Outdated.
    **Requires Built-in Translator if language barrier.

I think this is enough for you to understand how these things works, and i do sincerely hope that there would be less threads for small questions and start seeing thank yous because it really does make my or whoever answered your questions's day and would want to answer your questions in the future, but then again, that's just me. Thanks for reading.

Disclaimer
    Last edited by Llama; 07-05-2013 at 06:22 AM. Reason: update

cynically delicious. Cynic has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Cynic has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Cynic has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Cynic has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Cynic has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Cynic has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Cynic has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Cynic has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Cynic has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Cynic has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Cynic has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Cynic's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Alexina
    Character
    Cynndy
    Total Level
    23xx
    Race
    Elf
    Talent
    Archery
    Guild
    Cuchulainn
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Playing?
    Not interested
    Gold
    Props for makin' this, although I doubt that too many people will actually make an effort to use it.

You dont know me Bankai231 the aspiring sailor Bankai231 the aspiring sailor
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Tarlach
    Character
    Bankai231
    Total Level
    4xxx
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Music
    Guild
    Hairflip
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Playing?
    Not interested
    Gold
    Theres a few very specific members who can benefit GREATLY from the use of this guide. Those people will continue to ignore them and ask stupid pointless questions that everyone would usually know by just checking a wiki. Nice Guide though, it should be stickied but regardless +rep.

Big Llama. Ciaö the savior of Erinn Ciaö the savior of Erinn Ciaö the savior of Erinn Ciaö's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    None
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    N/A
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynic View Post
    Props for makin' this, although I doubt that too many people will actually make an effort to use it.
    Can't guarantee how effective this guide would be as of now, but if it gets sticky-ed, I'd have a larger chance of getting this message to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bankai231 View Post
    Theres a few very specific members who can benefit GREATLY from the use of this guide. Those people will continue to ignore them and ask stupid pointless questions that everyone would usually know by just checking a wiki. Nice Guide though, it should be stickied but regardless +rep.
    Thanks Bankai. c:

Victorique Gensokyou is a Nation Alchemist Gensokyou is a Nation Alchemist Gensokyou is a Nation Alchemist Gensokyou is a Nation Alchemist Gensokyou is a Nation Alchemist Gensokyou is a Nation Alchemist Gensokyou is a Nation Alchemist Gensokyou is a Nation Alchemist Gensokyou is a Nation Alchemist Gensokyou's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Tarlach
    Character
    Gensokyou
    Total Level
    6xxx
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Puppetry
    Guild
    None
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold
    Fucking awesome guide owen for member of forever.

Rekhyt: LOL GENNY YOU'RE SWIMMING IN POVERTY

Mabinogi
    Server
    None
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    N/A
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Gensokyou View Post
    Fucking awesome guide owen for member of forever.
    Awh, thanks genny.
    Sticky first then we talk about member of forever. c;

Royale the master of posting Royale the master of posting Royale the master of posting Royale the master of posting Royale the master of posting Royale's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Mari
    Race
    Elf
    Guild
    Mahou
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus East
    Type
    Evie
    Guild
    Mahou
    Playing?
    Retired
    Gold
    Personally i don't mind people making new thread for smalls questions, that's what this section is for. Sometimes i am too lazy to search up everything by myself too. and it's not like you have to answer everyone.through an integrated chat would be pretty useful here for asking and answering quick questions.

Free to Play!

Memento Mori Elleanior is a Nation Alchemist Elleanior is a Nation Alchemist Elleanior is a Nation Alchemist Elleanior is a Nation Alchemist Elleanior is a Nation Alchemist Elleanior is a Nation Alchemist Elleanior is a Nation Alchemist Elleanior is a Nation Alchemist Elleanior is a Nation Alchemist Elleanior is a Nation Alchemist Elleanior's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Mari
    Character
    Erru
    Total Level
    24xx
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Martial Arts
    Guild
    Mahou
    Playing?
    Not interested
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus West
    Character
    Elleanior
    Type
    Evie
    Level
    7x
    Guild
    de LaCryamosse
    Playing?
    Not interested
    Gold
    Thanks much for this for those who could use it. :D
    __

Interested in playing Phantasy Star Online 2 (Japanese) with English help? Send Herro or myself a message!
    Art Commissions available now!! [Tumblr]
    fish gif by thetauche on Deviantart.

the noob ironwoman is a Nation Alchemist ironwoman is a Nation Alchemist ironwoman is a Nation Alchemist ironwoman is a Nation Alchemist ironwoman is a Nation Alchemist ironwoman is a Nation Alchemist ironwoman is a Nation Alchemist ironwoman is a Nation Alchemist ironwoman's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Alexina
    Character
    ironwoman
    Total Level
    1xxxx
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Beginner
    Guild
    Valencia
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold
    Too bad the specific ones that keep doing this won't read this.

Still a good attempt.

Dream Yogi
    Baku is a Nation Alchemist Baku is a Nation Alchemist Baku is a Nation Alchemist Baku is a Nation Alchemist Baku is a Nation Alchemist Baku is a Nation Alchemist Baku is a Nation Alchemist Baku is a Nation Alchemist Baku is a Nation Alchemist Baku's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    Reih
    Race
    Elf
    Playing?
    Retired
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus East
    Character
    Freiya
    Type
    Fiona
    Guild
    MabiNation
    Playing?
    Playing NA Vindictus
    Gold
    I'd like to sticky this, but I'm not sure I like the tone in some places, it's no biggie mostly, but ya know.

And also, I recommend checking the formatting a bit more, typography can make lazy people (and this is quite directed at those kind of people) feel better reading something that appears long, since typography can make paragraphs look shorter and or better organized and easier to read. You don't have much control over it on a vBulletin post, but some use of different sizes and colors and emphasis (bolds and italics) can make a huge difference.

Finally, I'd like to add a recommendation:

Often when searching forums, I tend to prefer using google rather than the forums built-in search, I mean, let's face it, google is the king of search engines, their parser and algorithms for searching are the best out there.

If you want to search something in MabiNation, you can use the following syntax:

Code:
    1h ego sword site: mabination.com
    Which yields a lot of interesting results

What the forum search engine does have in favor is specific date / user searches, and sorting management.
      

+ Reply to Thread