Guild
    Nakama
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Playing?
    Not interested
    Gold
    I thought it already was pretty general since there is a game section... but not that many active posts in it besides the latest popular games.
    I don't see what would be the harm in creating a new additional section for other games, though.
    Ruairi - Kohagura, Vetur, Peaness

Rlarudska has just left the soul stream Rlarudska's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    Rlarudska
    Total Level
    XXXX
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Close Combat
    Guild
    Holyangels
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus East
    Character
    Rlarudska
    Type
    Lann
    Level
    Guild
    HolyAngels
    Playing?
    Retired
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsik View Post
    Phase 4: Telling people to start broadening their horizons and checking out other games, and then converting the site into a general gaming community instead of a fansite for a game beyond its prime? ;D
    It's bad enough we don't have many people on the site, more and more people would stop coming here if it is no long about Mabi.
    True meaning of being a hacker is when someone messes with something in a positive sense, that is, using playful cleverness to achieve a goal...

Mabinogi
    ======
    IGN: Rlarudska (HUMAN) || Server: Ruairi

League of Legends
    ============
    IGN: Hackalift || Rank: G2 (Season 4)

Never Again. Ever. I mean it.

<span style='color: #a01313'>Arsik</span> has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann <span style='color: #a01313'>Arsik</span> has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann <span style='color: #a01313'>Arsik</span> has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann <span style='color: #a01313'>Arsik</span> has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann <span style='color: #a01313'>Arsik</span> has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann <span style='color: #a01313'>Arsik</span> has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann <span style='color: #a01313'>Arsik</span> has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann <span style='color: #a01313'>Arsik</span> has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann <span style='color: #a01313'>Arsik</span> has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann <span style='color: #a01313'>Arsik</span> has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann <span style='color: #a01313'>Arsik</span> has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann <span style='color: #a01313'>Arsik</span>'s Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    Ailios
    Total Level
    20xx
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Puppetry
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus East
    Character
    Scamall
    Level
    4x
    Playing?
    Playing NA Vindictus
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlarudska View Post
    It's bad enough we don't have many people on the site, more and more people would stop coming here if it is no long about Mabi.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but what you're saying is, because we don't have a lot of people on this site, trying to bring in new people and a little variety from what we have now is a bad thing? Considering that most of the discussion on this site is mostly complaining about how this game sucks (either from how there's nothing to do, because people burnt through the content as quickly as they can, how the community sucks, because other players aren't at their level/are more interested in socializing/etc., or how Nexon sucks because they screw up on a constant basis), a little breath of fresh air would probably be good for this site by bringing in more discussion.

And to me, it also sounds like that you think members of this site are so addicted to this game, that they'll be totally intolerant of discussion of other things that they'll leave this site because of it (though I think that you're right in thinking this). But that's also a problem.

Now this may just be because of nostalgia, but I've been in this "community" (including back when we were on Mabiguru) for almost 7 years now. And in the past, I wouldn't have had to use quotes when I say community, because we really were a community. People talked about Mabi, (not just circle jerk about how bad it is like now), the good and the bad, but they also talked (and discussed) other games. People were willing to try other games with people they met here to have fun, a concept that seems to have disappeared as of late. This site used to hold events all the time, both in game, and out of game. From regular raffles for NX, to members going to each staff member on Halloween saying "trick or treat", just for the staff member to put a small picture of a piece of candy in the person's signature.

I don't mean to self promote, but it's a very good example of what I'm talking about. Right now I have an event going on where you play some Pokemon with other Nationers, and if you do a really good job, you could win a copy of the new Super Smash Bros. game that comes out in a month. So far, I only have seven people willing to participate, with one person who "might participate". Of those seven people that are definitely participating, there's only two that are "semi-active" in discussions about Mabinogi. But since the event is about trying to bring a community together, and not directly about Mabinogi, it's being largely ignored by the members of the site. Nobody has come to me, either through the thread, or through PMs, and see if there's a possibility for alternate prizes instead of Super Smash Bros., so it's not because of prizes that don't interest people. The fact that it's being ignored because it's about bringing the community together speaks pretty loudly to me.

I also regularly see people ask demand that Chise get rid of the sections outside of the Mabinogi sections because "they're cancer". These people want to take away the core community part of a fan site that was originally created to be a community to get together, but mainly focusing on the Mabinogi games (including Vindictus and the now cancelled Mabinogi 2/Mabinogi Arena). Why talk other things that my interest you, and possibly making a new friend that also has that same interest, when you can say the same thing over and over (ad nauseam) about a game that you hate, but can't quit because you're too addicted to? A game that you've sunk thousands of dollars into, but instead of walking away for the better, you continue playing out of shame? And the reason these other sections "are cancer"?

And yet, these same people don't understand why there aren't many new members that stick around, when new players come here for advice, and instead of help, they get told where they're supposed to be at their level, assuming they don't break out debating with themselves about endgame material that the person asking isn't close to yet. None of these people offer to help out the new player, they just tell the newbie "git gud" in a way that makes it look like they're helping. They don't reminisce about the past when the game used to be fun for them, and use those experiences to help the newbie. It's only about the end game, which many of them surpassed a long time ago, or mentioned earlier, about how much the game sucks. Not exactly something a new person can jump into and talk with them about.

Now, it would be different if Mabinogi had enough new permanent content updated regularly instead of maybe twice a year so that discussion doesn't stagnate on a regular basis, or if the community showed interest in other things (games, movies, etc.), or hell, even in being an actual community, by participating in events, whether forum or member run, I probably wouldn't suggest turning Mabination into a general gaming site. But personally, I think this site could use that variety it's been lacking for a while. And if people get too upset about it to the point where they leave because the site isn't focused around Mabinogi, then I won't shed a tear when they do. It's a shame, sure, but really: Is Mabinogi really that great to warrant that kind of irrationality?

It's Showtime.

<span style='color: #4169E1'>M</span> has disabled reputation <span style='color: #4169E1'>M</span>'s Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    The forums definitely are available to those who don't want to just talk about Mabinogi, or even those who do not play Mabinogi at all. However the idea of changing mabination into a site for all games equally, I just have trouble seeing it happen. Here we have a website and community that was originally built off one game and allows other game/general discussions on it. While the forums are definitely more open than say the nexon forums, I don't see us taking the Mabi out of Mabination unless something happens to the game itself.

Never Again. Ever. I mean it.

<span style='color: #a01313'>Arsik</span> has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann <span style='color: #a01313'>Arsik</span> has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann <span style='color: #a01313'>Arsik</span> has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann <span style='color: #a01313'>Arsik</span> has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann <span style='color: #a01313'>Arsik</span> has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann <span style='color: #a01313'>Arsik</span> has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann <span style='color: #a01313'>Arsik</span> has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann <span style='color: #a01313'>Arsik</span> has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann <span style='color: #a01313'>Arsik</span> has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann <span style='color: #a01313'>Arsik</span> has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann <span style='color: #a01313'>Arsik</span> has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann <span style='color: #a01313'>Arsik</span>'s Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    Ailios
    Total Level
    20xx
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Puppetry
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus East
    Character
    Scamall
    Level
    4x
    Playing?
    Playing NA Vindictus
    Gold
    But I never said anything about getting rid of the Mabi section, nor has Chise for that matter. Whenever Chise brought up the idea of turning the site into a general gaming community, he always said that he'd leave the Mabi section alone, even if it was because of the fact that this site was originally about Mabinogi. But as it stands right now, the members are divided into two: the people that frequent the Mabinogi section, which I've talked about, very rarely venturing outside of it to discuss other things unrelated to Mabinogi. The other group are the people that pretty much stay in Bean Rua, and again, rarely (as of late) venture outside of it, instead opting to have all "discussions" there, even if 90% of it is pretty much something that they could have put in a personal blog, and not really something that's discussion worthy.

Yes, we're open to discussion for other games in general, but when nobody actually discusses said games, it's the same as just saying that we're not open to general discussion (again, going back to people calling for the removal of non-Mabi related sections). I wouldn't keep bringing up changing the focus of the site to bring in new members and new discussion, if the people already here did more than beat a dead horse every day, or if they talked about things other than what just happened to them in their lives in detail.

I want to have a regular gaming league start up beginning next year for this community, but it seems like a waste of time for me to do so if I only get a small handful of people interested. I'm not doing this for fame, I want to do it because this site, for a large chunk of my life, has been my home on the internet, and I just want to give back to it in a way that people can have fun and relax and maybe make some new friends in the process. But if I'm one of the tiny minority that feels the same way about the site, then honestly, I really don't see this site lasting too much longer, because the only discussion will be new content coming out in Korea, bringing it up again when it's announced for us, having people talk about how they finished it in a day and mastered the skills related in less than a week, then complain about how there's nothing to do, until Korea announces new content, and the cycle continues (much like it is now).

That's all I'm saying. I just want to see more people passionate about the site and being a part of the community instead of focusing about a game that many of the said they quit because they got tired of it.

+ Reply to Thread