+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Magic Weapons: Red vs. Blue Special Upgrades

Kelvas the shadow hero Kelvas the shadow hero Kelvas the shadow hero Kelvas the shadow hero Kelvas's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Alexina
    Character
    Kelvas
    Total Level
    9xxx
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Druid
    Guild
    Starry
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold

Magic Weapons: Red vs. Blue Special Upgrades

1. Introduction
    Magic is unlike any other skillset in Mabinogi, in the sense of the uniqueness of its damage calculation. Unlike the simple multipliers of classical skills, magic damage calculation involves magic attack coefficients, base damage, full charge damage bonus, and masteries which vary from spell to spell. With the existence of these factors, the effectiveness of blue versus red special upgrades will also vary from spell to spell, which will be covered in this thread.
    For the sake of simplicity, I will be using a spreadsheet with these underlying formula to calculate the breakpoint in which average damage of r6 surpasses s6.

Blue - Step 6:
    S6 Damage = {([base damage] + ([magic attack coefficient] * [matk + 84])) * [mastery bonus] * [full charge with bonus if applicable]}

S6 Average Damage = {(S6 Damage * 0.7) + (S6 Damage * 2.5 * 0.3)}

Red - Step 6:
    R6 Damage = {([base damage] + ([magic attack coefficient] * [matk])) * [mastery bonus] * [full charge with bonus if applicable]}

R6 Average Damage = {(R6 Damage * 0.7) + (R6 Damage * 3.12 * 0.3)}

*Magic Weapon Mastery and Bolt Mastery will be added on mastery bonus multiplicatively.
    **Mastery titles, mastery reforges, hebona set effect, ect. will be disregarded, but normally will stack additively to their respective masteries. Combo cards will also be ignored.
    ***Balance will be assumed to be 100%.
    ****All spells + masteries are assumed to be rank 1.

The “R6>S6 MATK” will list my results for each spell, which represents the MATK at which average damage of red special upgrade at step 6 surpasses average damage of blue upgrades at step 6, without including the matk from blue upgrades.

2. Bolt Magic

i. Icebolt

Base Damage: 80
    MATK Coefficient: 0.4
    Full Charge Multiplier: 1
    R6>S6 MATK: 455

ii. Lightning Bolt

Base Damage: 150
    MATK Coefficient: 0.6
    Full Charge Multiplier: 1.26 (post renovation)
    R6>S6 MATK: 405

iii. Firebolt

Base Damage: 120
    MATK Coefficient: 0.5
    Full Charge Multiplier: 6.5
    R6>S6 MATK: 415
    (Max damage gained from Battlefield Overture, ego fire wand, enchants, etc. get added to the damage of Firebolt, so the true breakpoint is lower. Ratio of damage gained is ~0.82 max damage point per MATK.)

3. Intermediate Magic

i. Ice Spear

Base Damage: 240
    MATK Coefficient: 1.4
    Full Charge Multiplier: 6.5
    R6>S6 MATK: 485

ii. Thunder

Base Damage: 400
    MATK Coefficient: 2.1
    Full Charge Multiplier: 6
    R6>S6 MATK: 465

iii. Fireball

Base Damage: 2400
    MATK Coefficient: 12
    R6>S6 MATK: 455

4. Advanced Magic

i. Hailstorm

Base Damage: 300
    MATK Coefficient: 3.2
    Full Charge Multiplier: 6.25
    R6>S6 MATK: 562

ii. Meteor Strike

Base Damage: 16200
    MATK Coefficient: 30
    R6>S6 MATK: 115

iii. Lightning Rod

Base Damage: 465
    MATK Coefficient: 12
    Full Charge Multiplier: 3
    R6>S6 MATK: 617

5. Other Spells

i. Blaze

MATK Coefficient: 60.75*
    R6>S6 MATK: 655
    *Blaze does not actually have a matk coefficient of that magnitude, but for the sake of calculations, blaze damage without blaze damage gloves is (MATK * 60.75) at r1 blaze, fully charged with full knockdown. It is essentially the effective coefficient which includes all other base factors.

ii. Shockwave

Base Damage: 400
    MATK Coefficient: 5
    R6>S6 MATK: 575

6. Conclusion
    The breakpoints for red upgrades to surpass blue upgrades are relatively high, and have an average of 493 Magic Attack (excluding Meteor Strike and Blaze). With this in mind, it is safe to say that the majority of mages would find blue upgrades to be much more beneficial in terms of average damage.

I want to say this one more time, just in case someone misunderstood. The numbers that I calculated are for average damage, not just crit or just normal. Even if you do not hit the breakpoint, your red critical damage may surpass blue's, but that doesn't mean that reds are better overall.

Extra Section: Practicality
    A friend brought up the practicality regarding my numbers for r6 vs s6 breakpoints. His tested values didn't match.
    As far as I can tell, the calculated values will be slightly different than practical values because I omitted many factors like magic protection, magic defense, and balance (if it even exists for magic). My numbers are not completely accurate, because certain factors will vary from situation to situation, however, the break points listed above are accurate enough to be used as reference points though.
    Let's take protection and defense into account. For instance, say a hypothetical monster has 50 magic defense and 20% reduction from magic protection. Assume that a hypothetical spell does 500 on s6 critical, and 600 on r6 critical.
    S6 Damage: (500-50)*.8 = 360 ||| Damage lost: 28%
    R6 Damage: (600-50)*.8 = 440 ||| Damage lost: 26.7%

More damage is lost with lower critical damage (blue) than with higher critical damage (red) percentage-wise. Therefore, red is more beneficial in certain cases than blue. It will vary from mission to mission, but the general trend of higher defense and protection are in higher difficulties, and with that said, the actual practical break points will vary more in higher difficulties. In another case, using r6, non-crit damage is lower than s6 non-crit, percentage loss in damage will also be different to reflect that. Other times, monsters have elemental affinities or spells will not hit for its highest damage.

Special thanks to Mabinogi World Wiki for coefficients, base damage and images, and to Nation's KR team for renovation data.
    Feel free to add or correct anything, and thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Kelvas; 04-11-2016 at 07:04 PM.

Resident Furvert™
    Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    RRM
    Total Level
    13xxx
    Race
    Human
    Guild
    Takingover
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold
    If Int is hard-capped at 1500, then that's 300 base MA, so with capped Int you'd have to have to have over 100 (at minimum) MA from enchants/reforges/upgrades/wands for the break.

... I'm starting to think that maybe something broke (equation imbalance) during one of the updates that affected magic and they didn't notice?

Kelvas the shadow hero Kelvas the shadow hero Kelvas the shadow hero Kelvas the shadow hero Kelvas's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Alexina
    Character
    Kelvas
    Total Level
    9xxx
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Druid
    Guild
    Starry
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    298 from stats
    90 from titles
    80+24/44 from reforges
    12 langu circlet
    magic weapon crafting bonus
    weapon upgrades
    Insignificant enchants

It's possible to hit some of the breakpoint but it's difficult.
    Last edited by Kelvas; 02-09-2015 at 03:42 PM.

Mabination User steevosson has just left the soul stream
    Mabinogi
    Server
    None
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold
    Thanks for the nice sharing i appreciated your work good job i like your post

Mabination User DonaldTheMage has just left the soul stream DonaldTheMage's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Tarlach
    Character
    FabledBlade
    Total Level
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Archery
    Guild
    Capulet
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Guild
    Capulet
    Gold
    I prefer Blue ups considering they add straight to the magic attack pool instead of chance in crits.

ORANGES?! Citrusjuice the succubus slayer
    Mabinogi
    Server
    None
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold
    so... I made my Merlin's blue. Is that right or am I crazy

Grandmaster Defenestrator Fracture the skillful Fracture the skillful Fracture the skillful Fracture the skillful Fracture the skillful Fracture the skillful Fracture's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    Fracture
    Total Level
    24XX
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Smithing
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus West
    Character
    Descar
    Type
    Lann
    Level
    Guild
    Crime Sorciere
    Playing?
    Playing NA Vindictus
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Citrusjuice View Post
    Well it's almost definitely better for any magic you do with them, while likely being worse for melee attacking you do with them.
    <C1> Glas: [x27] | Tabhartas + Esras: [x4] | Cromm Cruiach: [x11] <C1>
    <C2> Crumena: [x11] <C2>
    <C3> Claimh Solas: [x45] | Doppleganger: [x18] | Uroboros: [x19] | Nuadha: [x2] <C3>
    <C4> Grim Reaper: [x4] | Bran: [x5] |Lugh: [x0] | Elizabeth: [x2] <C4>

Manliest Man of Mabination

Master Archer ~~ Wise Blacksmith

Resident Furvert™
    Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    RRM
    Total Level
    13xxx
    Race
    Human
    Guild
    Takingover
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold
    Merlins use 1-handed red upgrades and 2-handed blues, so the cutoff is ~550 damage for them.
    Same with Shurikens and some other weapons that have gimped red upgrades.

Mabination User JamesCook16 the golem slayer with a single blow JamesCook16's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Alexina
    Character
    Jamescook16
    Total Level
    6xxx
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Close Combat
    Playing?
    Casual
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus East
    Character
    Lynnn16
    Type
    Lynn
    Level
    8X
    Playing?
    Playing NA Vindictus
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Citrusjuice View Post
    Im gunna say yes your crazy because IIRC Blue Merlin's contribute to max dmg for Melee and don't contribute to magic attack in anyway.
    My Pet ^

Mabination User tanino has just left the soul stream tanino's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Alexina
    Character
    tanino
    Total Level
    3XXX
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Music
    Guild
    Hoshino
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Playing?
    Not interested
    Gold
    This guide lacks a very very important part when it comes to bolt magic to the very least,
    The add in value of Max Attack from Enchants and Buffs.
    8 Max From Enchants/Buffs = 10 Magic Attack pretty much, at least when it comes to Firebolt, meaning you could by far be breaking the break-even point for Firebolt(and other bolts) even if you only have 300 Magic Attack.

So if you have like 200 max from enchants and similar sources, that's similar to 160 MA. Then imagine you have 1000+ character screen damage with your wand and you get a 50% bfo, that'd be similar to gaining 400 magic attack.
    tanino [Alexina]

Official Mabinogi Fan Site: http://taninogi.tumblr.com/ | More Information on Fan Sites: Mabinogi Fan Sites
    My MWorld Wiki Page

+ Reply to Thread