+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [Guide] How To Packet Log Mabinogi

Resident Furvert™
    Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    RRM
    Total Level
    13xxx
    Race
    Human
    Guild
    Takingover
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold

[Guide] How To Packet Log Mabinogi

Packet Logging For !!Science!!

Ever wanted to know a monster's exact HP, not just guesses?
    Want to see the actual effects of food on both weight and stats?
    Do you want to see what processes are actually taking place behind the scenes?

In networking terms, "packets" are the pieces of data that flow between various networks, these pieces contain all the communication that programs on either side need to tell each other. By logging and examining packets you can see all of the communication between your instance of Mabinogi (the client) and the server. With this, you can find out all sorts of information that would be hard or impossible to pinpoint otherwise.

This guide will walk you through packet logging Mabinogi so you can find hidden information.
    We will be using Morrighan as the local proxy/translator and MabiPale as the logger.

Disclaimer

1 - Setting Up
    The first thing you'll need is Morrighan itself. Download it and place Morrighan.exe into your Mabinogi install directory. This is wherever Mabinogi.exe and Client.exe reside (as well as the data folder if you do that type of modding).

Once Morrighan is in there, you have two options to launch it.

A - Use MorriOneClick to launch the game in logging mode (easier method). You can find it here. Place MorriOneClick.exe into your Mabinogi install folder, and then simply run that to launch the game in packet logging mode (so to speak).

B - Making a direct launch shortcut for Morrighan.exe. If you already know how to make a direct launch shortcut for the game client than just copy that for Morrighan. If not, then right-click Morrighan.exe (when it's in your Mabinogi install folder) and edit the "target". At the end of what's already there, copy and paste...
     This Code

(Note that both of these cases bypass the game's launcher, and thus they will not update before logging you in. If there is a game update, simply run Mabinogi through whichever method or shortcut you normally use to update it first.)

After Morrighan is set up, just download MabiPale and put it in it's own folder, it doesn't matter where.

2 - Basic Packet Logging
    In order to do basic packet logging, start Mabinogi with the Morrighan shortcut (or run MorriOneClick). If the game starts up and you see this image in the upper-left, then things should work fine.

At any point you want to start actually logging, run MabiPale from wherever you put it and click the connect button. It's mostly self-explanatory, but here are the main button functions.
     Buttons

Once stuff happens in Mabinogi you should see packets flowing into the log.
    Click a packet on the left to view the raw contents of it on the right.
     Packet Information Key

3- Example Scenarios
    What sort of data can packet logging be used to gather?
    Let's look at some example scenarios.

A - The Sheeptuplet pet has various special effects, one of which could be to boost your movement speed. However the game doesn't specify how much the boost is. Looking into the packet that's sent when it happens, we can see it.

B - Let's say that I want to eat some food and then see what my weight values are the next time it updates. By finding the StatUpdatePublic packet when it happens you can see... though some of the values are hard to recognize or pick out, so you can click the "Packet Analyzer" button which will sort some of the info for you.

C - If you want to see some detailed information about NPCs or monsters, you can check out the Entity Logger, which keeps track of any monsters that have appeared while logging was active. This will show some information such as the exact max HP of a monster and it's CP.

D - I'm curious what Master Tin's face looks like, but he's always wearing the helmet so his facial features won't render. However, as an NPC he does have body data that's sent from the server! By looking through the Entity Logger data and matching up the various IDs, I was able to find the pieces of his head and reconstruct his look in the dressing room.
     What Master Tin Looks Like
    Last edited by Rydian; 07-31-2015 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Link updates to github.

Mabination User Jake is friends with Cichol Jake is friends with Cichol Jake is friends with Cichol Jake is friends with Cichol Jake is friends with Cichol Jake is friends with Cichol Jake is friends with Cichol Jake's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Alexina
    Character
    Proxied
    Total Level
    18xxx
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Ninja
    Guild
    Raid
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold
    holy christ you are the man. I've always been interested in something like this

Website Guy
    Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    Chise
    Total Level
    6xxx
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Druid
    Guild
    Nakama
    Playing?
    Casual
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus East
    Character
    Lyrelle
    Type
    Evie
    Level
    3x
    Guild
    MabiNation
    Playing?
    Retired
    Gold
    Eating up nexon's packets is how I made the housing search, only I used wireshark. Had no idea this thing existed.

sans is friends with Cichol sans is friends with Cichol sans is friends with Cichol sans is friends with Cichol sans is friends with Cichol sans is friends with Cichol sans is friends with Cichol sans's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydian View Post
    D - I'm curious what Master Tin's face looks like, but he's always wearing the helmet so his facial features won't render. However, as an NPC he does have body data that's sent from the server! By looking through the Entity Logger data and matching up the various IDs, I was able to find the pieces of his head and reconstruct his look in the dressing room.
     What Master Tin Looks Like
    Mystery solved at last. +rep.

Resident Furvert™
    Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    RRM
    Total Level
    13xxx
    Race
    Human
    Guild
    Takingover
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold
    I need to do Trefor next...

Quote Originally Posted by Osayidan View Post
    Eating up nexon's packets is how I made the housing search, only I used wireshark. Had no idea this thing existed.
    Well these tools are relatively-new. Previously people just used AllisaA(etc.) and the underlying stuff, but of course that's not always reliable or available for reasons that involve other reasons and things and stuff.

The Holy Cow
    X the dragon knight X the dragon knight X the dragon knight X the dragon knight X's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Playing?
    Casual
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold
    I need to do Trefor next...

Well these tools are relatively-new. Previously people just used AllisaA(etc.) and the underlying stuff, but of course that's not always reliable or available for reasons that involve other reasons and things and stuff.
    A little history: Pale has been around for years. It was originally based on a tool called NPF, which used Wireshark/winPcap to sniff packets off the wire. Unfortunately there were several issues with this library, namely that it required administrator permissions to run, and that it would frequently drop logging altogether. It would miss a segment of traffic or something and kerboom

Morrighan is a totally different approach to logging packets. More info can be found on its thread, but it does not suffer the issues NPF did. This makes it a viable packet source for MabiPale and MabiCommerce.

Again, as the thread will say, MabiPale is open source, if you're interested in such things.

Also the Aura project has lots of little tools like this if you're hungry for more.

Finally, I'll leave off with a bad pun: We can now have our cake and eat it too!

Mabination User Jake is friends with Cichol Jake is friends with Cichol Jake is friends with Cichol Jake is friends with Cichol Jake is friends with Cichol Jake is friends with Cichol Jake is friends with Cichol Jake's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Alexina
    Character
    Proxied
    Total Level
    18xxx
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Ninja
    Guild
    Raid
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold
    Alright so I was determined to find this out myself and I figured with these tools I would have been able to, and maybe i just misread and this isn't even a thing but after failing to do so with this I'll just ask you (Rydian).

So ages ago I saw you make a post that implied you had the ability to check if a "mob server" was on or off (which would indicate the possibility for mobs getting stuck). Now I may have misread, or that wasn't what you were actually talking about.

So if this is actually a thing you have the ability to check, would you be willing to tell me how?

Resident Furvert™
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    RRM
    Total Level
    13xxx
    Race
    Human
    Guild
    Takingover
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Alright so I was determined to find this out myself and I figured with these tools I would have been able to, and maybe i just misread and this isn't even a thing but after failing to do so with this I'll just ask you (Rydian).

So ages ago I saw you make a post that implied you had the ability to check if a "mob server" was on or off (which would indicate the possibility for mobs getting stuck). Now I may have misread, or that wasn't what you were actually talking about.

So if this is actually a thing you have the ability to check, would you be willing to tell me how?
    When the mob server is down no mobs will spawn anywhere and you get something like "there is a problem with the mob server, please try again later" when trying to enter a dungeon or shadow mission.

Mobs getting stuck is unrelated to that, and seems to be a bug related to the mob server losing emulated "click control", basically. The mob server is actually a system that plays as the mobs in-game, and it seems during periods of lag that it'll lose partial focus (so it can simulate hotkeys for skills but not movement) for some reason that I'm not sure on.

Also have Trefer unmasked.

Details
    Last edited by Rydian; 04-17-2015 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Adding details.

sans is friends with Cichol sans is friends with Cichol sans is friends with Cichol sans is friends with Cichol sans is friends with Cichol sans is friends with Cichol sans is friends with Cichol sans's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    Also have Trefer unmasked.

Unmask Marrec now XD

+ Reply to Thread