+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Server Transfer

Resident Furvert™
    Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    RRM
    Total Level
    13xxx
    Race
    Human
    Guild
    Takingover
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold

Server Transfer

In the leaked server data, Eavan will respond to the "@transServer" chat option. Apparently she would check you out and tell you if you're safe to transfer or not before you go off and try it.

When you choose that chat option, she runs the OnSelectTransServer() function (and for once we actually have the definition for it). This function checks your character (presumably your bank tab as well) for a few things.

1 - If you're engaged.
    2 - If you're married.
    3 - If you have items that are marked as /notTransServer/. (These are mainly bags.)
    4 - If you have any unclaimed cash shop items (items in the menu not yet taken).

If any of these are true, you get told you cannot transfer.
    If none of them are true, you get told you can transfer.

What's interesting is that G9S2 is when this feature was added (featureTransServer, according to the features file), which is a lot more recent than some of the really old dummied-out stuff in the game.

Unfortunately I can't find any evidence that this feature is enabled in NA... though that's partially due to mismatching feature strings so I can't find which feature it actually is.

Eavan's Commented-Out KR Text

EDIT: After wrestling with XML parsing for far too long, I've finally got a method to loop and sort crap by attributes automatically, so here's a list of all the items with the /notTransServer/ tag.

Huge List
    Last edited by Rydian; 06-08-2015 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Added notTransServer item list.

Website Guy
    Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    Chise
    Total Level
    6xxx
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Druid
    Guild
    Nakama
    Playing?
    Casual
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus East
    Character
    Lyrelle
    Type
    Evie
    Level
    3x
    Guild
    MabiNation
    Playing?
    Retired
    Gold
    I don't remember if this is true or not, but a long time ago I did hear about the Japanese server selling a cash shop item for server transfer, but it did not transfer your bank. Basically had to go with whatever you could carry.

Resident Furvert™
    Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    RRM
    Total Level
    13xxx
    Race
    Human
    Guild
    Takingover
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold
    Bleh, a comment on the server features file (서버이전 체크해주는 NPC. 국내 G9S2 이후. 해외는 없음.) says something like "no overseas".

The two item checks are player.GetItemList(`*/notTransServer/*`) and player.GetCashItemCount()... and it seems the cash shop count is actually supposed to only count cash shop items that were bought but not actually take into the inventory in-game, but I'm not sure if this is supposed to check the bank or not.

ORANGES?! Citrusjuice the succubus slayer
    Mabinogi
    Server
    None
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold
    do you have a guess on why NA is not merging?

I'd like to assume the not transferable stuff is the reason :c or just unstable servers?

Resident Furvert™
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    RRM
    Total Level
    13xxx
    Race
    Human
    Guild
    Takingover
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Citrusjuice View Post
    do you have a guess on why NA is not merging?

I'd like to assume the not transferable stuff is the reason :c or just unstable servers?
    This isn't a merge, it's a one-by-one optional transfer. I don't see the method to actually trigger it, Eavan just has a check to tell you if your character is ready or not. Chances are it's a one-time NX-cost thing.

On that topic though, the main issue with merging is pets. Pets are players too, they share the same name pool as players (there's a pet named Rydian on Ruairi IRRC, so that's why my human is RRM) and you can log in as them, so they greatly inflate the issues with merging servers. If it was just player names, there's ways around that, but all the pets tossed in as well...

Θ ε Θ Zeo has slain a prairie dragon Zeo has slain a prairie dragon Zeo has slain a prairie dragon Zeo has slain a prairie dragon Zeo has slain a prairie dragon Zeo has slain a prairie dragon Zeo has slain a prairie dragon Zeo's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Alexina
    Total Level
    11xxx
    Race
    Elf
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Playing?
    Not interested
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydian View Post
    This isn't a merge, it's a one-by-one optional transfer. I don't see the method to actually trigger it, Eavan just has a check to tell you if your character is ready or not. Chances are it's a one-time NX-cost thing.

On that topic though, the main issue with merging is pets. Pets are players too, they share the same name pool as players (there's a pet named Rydian on Ruairi IRRC, so that's why my human is RRM) and you can log in as them, so they greatly inflate the issues with merging servers. If it was just player names, there's ways around that, but all the pets tossed in as well...
    I believe if NA Mabinogi did what JP and KR Mabinogi did... whoever log in first will get to keep their name which is a reasonable situation too... they could disable the users from making the new characters to prevent trolling someone by taking the name for first 12 hours after maintenance or so.

One of the biggest reasons some people are against server merge was because they want to stay as a special snowflake with their IGN.

I do wish all four servers would merge though, it'd help with the popularity and activity.
    Last edited by Zeo; 05-31-2015 at 11:32 AM.
    Uhh... here's my Mabination pets? :v

Resident Furvert™
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    RRM
    Total Level
    13xxx
    Race
    Human
    Guild
    Takingover
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold
    Three main problems.

1 - What about pets? Do they count when summoned, or do they count when the account logs in? Who gets precedence here?

2 - What happens to somebody that doesn't get their name? There's no renaming system in Mabi so while a temp name could work out, a rename system would have to be added in the first place.

3 - What about guilds, guild stones, high scores on boss rushes, seal stone breakers, and the like?

It's a complex thing, and mabi has nothing to handle any of it.

Mabination User k1nsoo the wise k1nsoo the wise k1nsoo the wise k1nsoo the wise k1nsoo the wise k1nsoo the wise k1nsoo's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Alexina
    Character
    Kinsoo
    Total Level
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Beginner
    Guild
    Raid
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus East
    Character
    Jouis
    Type
    Hurk
    Level
    Playing?
    Retired
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydian View Post
    Three main problems.

1 - What about pets? Do they count when summoned, or do they count when the account logs in? Who gets precedence here?

2 - What happens to somebody that doesn't get their name? There's no renaming system in Mabi so while a temp name could work out, a rename system would have to be added in the first place.

3 - What about guilds, guild stones, high scores on boss rushes, seal stone breakers, and the like?

It's a complex thing, and mabi has nothing to handle any of it.
    1 - Usually KR server transfer offers name-change for your existing pets; if not, they add "+server" in the end. Example: kinsoocloud1+Alexina

2 - NA server does not have renaming system and I doubt they will implement renaming service. If they do, GMs have to manually rename them (at least this is what KR does)

3 - There are requirements for server transfer, such as emptying bank account, emptying mailbox, leaving guild, and not having housing. If I remember correctly, seal breakers and rankings in boss rushes stayed the same.

I doubt NA mabi will ever implement server transfer or renaming services. I don't think its impossible, but they can either follow what KR mabi has been doing, or come up with better solutions

Resident Furvert™
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    RRM
    Total Level
    13xxx
    Race
    Human
    Guild
    Takingover
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold
    I was speaking in terms of a full-on merge which would include server data like guild names and stone locations and who broke which seal where.

Interesting that the bank had to be empty, I didn't see anything about that in the checks.

Website Guy
    Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    Chise
    Total Level
    6xxx
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Druid
    Guild
    Nakama
    Playing?
    Casual
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus East
    Character
    Lyrelle
    Type
    Evie
    Level
    3x
    Guild
    MabiNation
    Playing?
    Retired
    Gold
    I already posted my thoughts on handling a server merge here: http://mabination.com/threads/84763-...=1#post1275441

But I'll re-post it here since it's much more relevant.

---------------------------------

At this stage of the game I don't think anyone other than those who actually got the seal stones cares about them, not to mention a lot of the people who broke the seal stones probably don't even play.

To make it both fair and interesting I'd say let everyone who has a seal stone title keep it, but also re-seal the stones and let people break them again.

For any high-score type stuff, let people who deserve high scores re-earn them. If it was just luck them maybe you'll get lucky again. Who cares? Probably a tiny percentage of the players (those who have said high scores). This is for the greater good, some high scores are irrelevant.

As for character names highest level would be one way to do it, though I think character creation date would probably be them more logical approach.

Guild names would work the same way, first created date, others have to rename. Guild stones all get wiped, start a new land rush to get guild stone spots.

As for a server merge being bad publicity I hardly see it that way. First of all it's their own fuck-up for enticing every single new player for the past i forget how many years to chose Alexina with the "NEW" tag, causing a disproportionate flow of new players per server.

This would require adding a lot of functions to the game like self-serve renaming of characters/pets/guilds but I don't see how that's in any way complicated for an entire dev team who created their own game engine instead of using a standard one.

One huge server with 20+ channels would be way more interesting to play on than a mostly empty ghost server. Tarlach players know most of all what that's like. One bigass server would mean all new players go to the same place, no dividing up the player base. From a social standpoint the game would be way more interesting, after a few months the economy would stabalize and become pretty interesting as well (nerf S2E6 first though).

+ Reply to Thread