Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Request community opinions

Chen Fanboy
    Kingofrunes has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kingofrunes has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kingofrunes has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kingofrunes has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kingofrunes has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kingofrunes has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kingofrunes has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kingofrunes has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kingofrunes has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kingofrunes has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kingofrunes has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kingofrunes's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Osayidan View Post
    I'll be extra generous and give nexon another week to get their shit together. So until end of business-day next friday the 18th.

I never looked into how to get this to work myself so I'll probably bug Kingofrunes about it when the deadline approaches since he seems to know
    Well if you want that, you better catch me before Wednesday as I'll be in San Diego for a week for Touhoucon

[Tumblr|Youtube]
    Local Touhou, Undertale, Runescape, Overwatch, Minecraft, and Zelda/Pokemon Fanatic.

Memento Mori Elleanior is a Nation Alchemist Elleanior is a Nation Alchemist Elleanior is a Nation Alchemist Elleanior is a Nation Alchemist Elleanior is a Nation Alchemist Elleanior is a Nation Alchemist Elleanior is a Nation Alchemist Elleanior is a Nation Alchemist Elleanior is a Nation Alchemist Elleanior is a Nation Alchemist Elleanior's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Mari
    Character
    Erru
    Total Level
    24xx
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Martial Arts
    Guild
    Mahou
    Playing?
    Not interested
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus West
    Character
    Elleanior
    Type
    Evie
    Level
    7x
    Guild
    de LaCryamosse
    Playing?
    Not interested
    Gold
    I think it's a good idea. Hackshield has been needing to get their shit together for some time now. In the end, the choices are up to the individuals to take. Just remember to note such a disclaimer.
    __

Interested in playing Phantasy Star Online 2 (Japanese) with English help? Send Herro or myself a message!
    Art Commissions available now!! [Tumblr]
    fish gif by thetauche on Deviantart.

Mirage Knight Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    None
    Character
    Yoorah
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus East
    Character
    Yoorah
    Level
    6x
    Playing?
    Retired
    Gold
    I think this is an OK solution, mainly because I stopped caring about Nexon/Mabi, assuming whatever hacking tool is used can be verified as being harmless. Otherwise, I would be against distributing what's essentially an exploit to the user base.

Any downloads required for the modding would be confirmed to be clean and hosted somewhere that can be trusted.
    That's one thing that leaves me wondering--do you have the ability to check the hack for malicious code (I'm guessing not), or know someone you personally trust who could do it? Otherwise, it'll be virtually equivalent to users blindly downloading hacks and potentially getting pwnt (which I always personally found to be hilarious, but that's besides the point.)
    "We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for, I don’t know."

░ [Mari] Beta Tester (CBT since January 2008 <3)
    ░ [Ruairi] Royal Alchemist (1st gen) | Seal Breaker | TTL 5000+
    ░ [Alexina] Grandmaster Fighter | TTL 2000+

Elvs gud! Rite guise? Esileruf is a friend of Nora Esileruf is a friend of Nora Esileruf is a friend of Nora Esileruf's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Mari
    Character
    Surrept
    Total Level
    Race
    Elf
    Talent
    Lance Combat
    Guild
    Playing?
    Casual
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoorah View Post
    That's one thing that leaves me wondering--do you have the ability to check the hack for malicious code (I'm guessing not), or know someone you personally trust who could do it? Otherwise, it'll be virtually equivalent to users blindly downloading hacks and potentially getting pwnt (which I always personally found to be hilarious, but that's besides the point.)
    Virustotal and the fact that not only does there seems to be just a single patcher working, mabicake is broke, and One can probably poke blade to personally post on the forums. That way, the methods that are tested elsewhere can flow through there before getting put here.
     :^)

The Grandma Fighter Kapra has slain a prairie dragon Kapra has slain a prairie dragon Kapra has slain a prairie dragon Kapra has slain a prairie dragon Kapra has slain a prairie dragon Kapra has slain a prairie dragon Kapra has slain a prairie dragon Kapra's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    whoknowswho
    Total Level
    5xxx
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Magic
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus East
    Type
    Evie
    Level
    Gold
    I think the number one priority of a community should be that the community survives. If being against mods helps maintain the community, then that's okay. But if it starts to hinder the survival more than otherwise, then that's a problem.

Nexon not updating for Windows 10 compatibility won't kill Mabinogi, the community dying will kill Mabinogi. And the community will and already has begun diminishing as people are unable to play Mabinogi.

I don't think rules should inhibit the existence of the reason why the rules even exist (with exception of upholding the natural laws, in which case the rule should be upheld even if it means the rule maker ceases to exist). To me, the current state sounds like a good enough excuse to make an exception in the "no mods whatsoever" rule.
    Last edited by Kapra; 09-12-2015 at 01:28 AM.

Mirage Knight Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    None
    Character
    Yoorah
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus East
    Character
    Yoorah
    Level
    6x
    Playing?
    Retired
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Esileruf View Post
    Virustotal
    Yeah... no. I'm afraid you didn't realize that Virustotal in this case is more useful to malware authors than the end users; it's what they use to tweak their code until it's undetectable. I've known a group of people who used this over the years to collect literally tens of thousands of accounts from cheaters who would use the given mod/hack.

Virustotal is a good scanner for random files if you just want to check for known/old signatures. It is of absolutely no use for our case here.

Ideally, we could review the exploit's source code, if it's available. The alternative would be to reverse engineer it manually and check for suspicious code, but that can be a challenge in itself.
    Last edited by Yoorah; 09-12-2015 at 07:05 PM.
    "We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for, I don’t know."

░ [Mari] Beta Tester (CBT since January 2008 <3)
    ░ [Ruairi] Royal Alchemist (1st gen) | Seal Breaker | TTL 5000+
    ░ [Alexina] Grandmaster Fighter | TTL 2000+

Resident Furvert™
    Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    RRM
    Total Level
    13xxx
    Race
    Human
    Guild
    Takingover
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold
    Well it's not all just signatures, heuristics is a huge part too. I upload stuff I make to virustotal now and then to make sure that certain AVs properly whitelisted it, or to see which AVs are throwing fits about heuristics results and claiming it's a virus when it's not this week.

EDIT: More on-topic, looks like replacing the US hackshield folder with an updated KR one works, though it'll have to be redone each patch.
    Last edited by Rydian; 09-13-2015 at 07:31 AM.

Website Guy
    Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    Chise
    Total Level
    6xxx
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Druid
    Guild
    Nakama
    Playing?
    Casual
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus East
    Character
    Lyrelle
    Type
    Evie
    Level
    3x
    Guild
    MabiNation
    Playing?
    Retired
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydian View Post
    EDIT: More on-topic, looks like replacing the US hackshield folder with an updated KR one works, though it'll have to be redone each patch.
    I much prefer that over the current method. Can someone from KR send me the folder?
    Actually doing it this way I can't even consider as modding so if someone wants to post that go ahead. If you need somewhere to host the KR hackshield folder let me know.

Chen Fanboy
    Kingofrunes has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kingofrunes has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kingofrunes has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kingofrunes has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kingofrunes has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kingofrunes has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kingofrunes has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kingofrunes has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kingofrunes has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kingofrunes has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kingofrunes has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Kingofrunes's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    I much prefer that over the current method. Can someone from KR send me the folder?
    Actually doing it this way I can't even consider as modding so if someone wants to post that go ahead. If you need somewhere to host the KR hackshield folder let me know.
    Sure, I'll send that your way today. First I have to verify that works in the first place. okay confirmed, I guess KR did manage to fix it themselves. I didn't spot any notices that they had fixed it.

Okay I threw it in the Guides section as I couldn't think of where else to put it: http://mabination.com/threads/85829-...Windows-10-100
    Last edited by Kingofrunes; 09-13-2015 at 09:23 AM.

[Tumblr|Youtube]
    Local Touhou, Undertale, Runescape, Overwatch, Minecraft, and Zelda/Pokemon Fanatic.

Closed Thread