+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Elf Lag"

Resident Furvert™
    Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    RRM
    Total Level
    13xxx
    Race
    Human
    Guild
    Takingover
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold

"Elf Lag"

There's been a lot of talk about this one way or the other over the years, and a lot of supposed fixes that may or may not have worked over the years as well. Here's what I can say.
    • It's a client-side bug.
    • It appears to be an actual combat logic bug, not just a stuck animation causing a delay or whatever it may have manifested as in the past.

Here's two packet logs of elf ranged combat, with most irrelevant packets filtered out. Red are outgoing (things your game tells the server), blue are incoming (things the server tells the game).

Normal
    This is the log of firing an arrow normally. You tell the server you're going to start aiming at the target, then you tell the server you're going to attack. The server responds and the attack fires off (once you have the server response).

Elf Lag
    This is the log of what I see when I hit the "elf lag" issue. Things look mostly the same, but for some reason when I went to attack my client just started spamming this unknown packet instead. After a bit of that, that's when it made and sent the proper attack packet.

Anybody got any more info on this?

Dream Yogi
    Baku is a Nation Alchemist Baku is a Nation Alchemist Baku is a Nation Alchemist Baku is a Nation Alchemist Baku is a Nation Alchemist Baku is a Nation Alchemist Baku is a Nation Alchemist Baku is a Nation Alchemist Baku is a Nation Alchemist Baku's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    Reih
    Race
    Elf
    Playing?
    Retired
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus East
    Character
    Freiya
    Type
    Fiona
    Guild
    MabiNation
    Playing?
    Playing NA Vindictus
    Gold
    Way back when, I remember fiddling with some dll removing some frames from the elf animation, and that definitely used to fix the issue, as clear as dying constantly to being able to play just fine. While a couple of mods that mentioned to fix the issue didn't work for me, the modifications I performed fixed it without a doubt, unfortunately it has been so long now that I recall close to nothing as to what I modified precisely. It used to piss me off reading people saying it was just a placebo effect, or that there's no such thing as "Elf lag", when the results were clear as day.

There's definitely a client-side bug with elves ranged attack, it may not be noticeable to some with lower pings, but it becomes much more pronounced as your ping increases.

Mabinogi in general seems to have terrible network programming.
      

Mabination User Step29 has just left the soul stream
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Mari
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold
    Elves has a special ability that allows you to "move in position while aiming". The packet 791F is suppose to communicate with the server letting you know you're moving while aiming.
    As for the bug. I don't know. When you use CTRL sometimes the client will tell the server that im going to walk to the enemies position. But I don't know if this occurs while moving while aiming

Mabination User tachiorz the golem slayer tachiorz's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Mari
    Character
    Tachiorz
    Total Level
    11XXX
    Race
    Giant
    Guild
    Cluster
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Playing?
    Not interested
    Gold
    Yeah, I noticed that. I worked on ranged in aura (a bit)
    https://mabimods.net/index.php?topic...1592#msg241592
     paste

https://github.com/aura-project/aura...ork/Op.cs#L332
    https://github.com/aura-project/aura...Skills.cs#L607
    Last edited by tachiorz; 02-01-2016 at 01:20 PM.

The Holy Cow
    X the dragon knight X the dragon knight X the dragon knight X the dragon knight X's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Playing?
    Casual
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold
    The fact that the ops of the elf packet and setAimR are adjacent is way too much of a coincidence, especially when taken with the fact that there seems to be one SetAimR packet for each elf packet.

So elf lag is probably a bug in the client, where it mistakenly spams the packet until it gets a response. As you say, with Aura/KR, this response would come very fast, minimizing the effects of the spam. On NA, though, you'll wind up stuck.

Juding by the timings on the packets, the client gets stuck in a tight loop of sending packets. Something like:

Code:
    while (!responseReceived) {
        sendElfPacket();
    }
    If this is all true, it is probably a very easy fix, both for devcat and for anyone who memory edits the client *cough* step *cough*. I'm betting the proper functionality is to only send it once. I seem to recall people fixing it before by just disabling that packet, but I dunno what kind of effects that'd have.

Mabination User Madgamer13 has just left the soul stream
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Alexina
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold
    Greetings!

I am curious to what the server is doing with these weird elf packets. If the server is receiving and processing them, they are likely having an impact on it's cycles, however minor. I would like to ask: Would it be possible to bombard the server with these packets under the right conditions?

The Holy Cow
    X the dragon knight X the dragon knight X the dragon knight X the dragon knight X's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Playing?
    Casual
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Madgamer13 View Post
    Greetings!

I am curious to what the server is doing with these weird elf packets. If the server is receiving and processing them, they are likely having an impact on it's cycles, however minor. I would like to ask: Would it be possible to bombard the server with these packets under the right conditions?

The client already bombards the server with these packets because devCat.

Anyway, judging by the timestamps of the packets, there's a 300ms delay between when the packet is sent and received. Network transport and other IO operations take the lion's share of that. it takes the server probably less than 10 milliseconds to process the packet. The handler probably involves a few dozen instructions, if that, since it's so simple a packet. Bottom line: you can't DDoS the game with this packet.

Mabination User Ghostmonkey has just left the soul stream
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Mari
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Step29 View Post
    Elves has a special ability that allows you to "move in position while aiming". The packet 791F is suppose to communicate with the server letting you know you're moving while aiming.
    As for the bug. I don't know. When you use CTRL sometimes the client will tell the server that im going to walk to the enemies position. But I don't know if this occurs while moving while aiming
    now that you mention the skill like that.. "move in position while aiming" would sound a little complex because the server has to see where you are and aim right? no wonder elves have so much lag

+ Reply to Thread