Crashing to desktop at random times
Hello everyone, hoping some of you guys might be able to help me.
I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and my PC is more than capable of handling Mabi, however at seemingly random times my PC completely crashes when I'm playing. It happens in both full screen and windowed modes. Sometimes when it crashes, both of my screens turn black, or sometimes one of them turns aqua or pink (?!), leading me to think it might be an issue with my GPU? It's a GTX 570, with the most updated drivers installed.
I've been searching around but I've been unable to find any fix for this specific issue.
Thanks in advance! :)
Last edited by Pani; 06-21-2016 at 01:45 AM.
Use the demo version of FRAPS to see what FPS you're getting.
If it's way over 60 (or your monitor's refresh rate if you have a fancy 120/144hz screen) then that could be the cause of overheating.
If so, set a global framerate cap (because per-profile caps tend to get overwritten).
Run the ProfileInspector, and on the default profile in section 2, set a framerate cap. Save changes in the upper-right, then restart the game and it should not go above that framerate. This significantly reduces strain on the GPU when in low-demand areas like the title screen or small maps like NPC houses.
Hey Rydian! Thanks for the help.
Fraps shows that my FPS doesn't go above 60 in fullscreen mode, but does go as high as 90 in windowed mode. I crash in both modes, so I'm not sure if that's relevant. I've downloaded ProfileInspector but I can't quite see where to set a framerate cap (sorry!). Are you able to point me in the right direction? This is what I see when I run the program:
Sorry, I just realised my title is incorrect - it doesn't just crash to desktop, it crashes my PC completely. The screens never seem to restart, so I need to force my PC to turn off and restart.
Nvidia Inspector is the main part, the Profile Inspector is a separate exe in the download that has the setting changes.
But it sounds like something else is going wrong. You could keep track of the clock rates with CPUZ and Nvidia Inspector to see if they change before the crach, or check your driver version versus the latest to see if you actually have it (some driver update methods will not get you the actual latest driver).
Thanks again Rydian, I appreciate the help.
I found the Profile Inspector and set my framerate to cap at 59.7, just in case. I also took your advice and checked; Device Manager seemed to think my graphics card drivers were up to date but they definitely weren't, so I'm currently downloading the newest ones from Nvidia. I'll let you know if this works. :)
Yeah always go to the manufacturer's site for the latest drivers. The device manager pulls from slowly-updated databases and only offers "confirmed" drivers that have passed specific Microsoft testing, which takes a while and costs, so it's not done for all the updates that come out.
Frame rate has nothing to do with crashing in cases like these. In a stable OS like Windows 7, the key suspects are faulty hardware or driver issues.
That said, the most common sense approach to troubleshooting crashes is to look at the core dump--this is true for any platform that can generate core dumps, since it basically tells you what actually went wrong. xd I'm too
lazy sleepy to write a guide on this but you can find them online. Here's a basic thing I wrote about it before.
This applies assuming the OS was able to create a dump--in your case it sounds weird, with the monitors going all crazy and all... typically you'd get a BSoD. If you find no dumps, check that the OS was set up to create them upon crashing: http://blog.nirsoft.net/2010/07/27/h...files-on-bsod/
Apparently there's 3rd party tools that can read dumps if you don't feel like figuring how how WinDbg and Symbols work. xd Like this one here: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html Maybe there are better ones too.
Some other thoughts...
I'd guess there's a 75% chance of a HW issue and a 25% chance for a SW issue.
If you have an Intel based system, there's a good chance your motherboard and CPU have integrated graphics support. If this is the case, remove the NVIDIA GPU for a while and use it on integrated graphics just to see if this makes the crashes go away.
There are also hardware testing tools available--they basically work by stressing the hardware in an attempt to detect errors and/or make the system crash. Prime95 good for testing the CPU, Memtest86 can be used to test your RAM and FurMark could test your GPU. Memtest can be left running overnight, but I'd be careful with FurMark--I'd only run it for ~10 mins in you case, though do monitor the temps as you do this.
You can also run sfc /scannow in cmd to check your system files for corruption. Probably not the root cause but it's an easy check, so why not do it. xd
Last edited by Yoorah; 06-23-2016 at 12:54 AM.
Before knowing all of the details, I suspected it because Mabi doesn't cap FPS, causing unwanted stress on the GPU which could have lead to overheating (especially as, from the initial description, it sounded like some sort of artifacting until we got more details).
Originally Posted by Yoorah
It's not something to worry about within reasonable limits, though. If you want to see what insane FPS looks like, try checking the uncapped FPS you get during the login screen (i.e. the one where the engine loads.) xd