+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Crashing to desktop at random times

Website Guy
    Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    Chise
    Total Level
    6xxx
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Druid
    Guild
    Nakama
    Playing?
    Casual
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus East
    Character
    Lyrelle
    Type
    Evie
    Level
    3x
    Guild
    MabiNation
    Playing?
    Retired
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoorah View Post
    It's not something to worry about within reasonable limits, though. If you want to see what insane FPS looks like, try checking the uncapped FPS you get during the login screen (i.e. the one where the engine loads.) xd
    I think I once got something retarded like ~4000 FPS on the minecraft main menu screen.

Mabination User Pani has just left the soul stream Pani's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Tarlach
    Character
    Calaesia
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Close Combat
    Playing?
    Casual
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    I did notice FPS higher than 2k on the loading screen. Had no idea what was going on!

After updating my graphics card drivers the issue has definitely gotten better, but I'm still crashing 1-2 times a day.

It doesn't look like they're generating minidumps, either.

If you have an Intel based system, there's a good chance your motherboard and CPU have integrated graphics support. If this is the case, remove the NVIDIA GPU for a while and use it on integrated graphics just to see if this makes the crashes go away.
    It doesn't look like Mabi will run with just the integrated graphics. It gives me an error saying the card is unsupported, I click to proceed anyway, but I get another error when the client launches and it closes itself.
    Last edited by Pani; 06-25-2016 at 06:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by abc33kr View Post
    when in doubt, doubt the wiki.

Mirage Knight Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    None
    Character
    Yoorah
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus East
    Character
    Yoorah
    Level
    6x
    Playing?
    Retired
    Gold
    That's odd. Did you install the latest Intel graphics drivers after switching? Which Intel GPU do you have? Mabi always complained about "incompatibility" but it actually runs quite decently, unless this changed recently.

It sucks that no dumps are generated. :( Check the settings to make sure it's set up to create them.

You can also try looking at the built in Reliability Monitor to see if it says anything interesting about the days where you've experienced crashes.
    Another Windows tool you could check for info on what happened is Event Viewer. Windows Logs > System > look for things that match the timestamp of your crash, Errors, etc.
    "We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for, I don’t know."

░ [Mari] Beta Tester (CBT since January 2008 <3)
    ░ [Ruairi] Royal Alchemist (1st gen) | Seal Breaker | TTL 5000+
    ░ [Alexina] Grandmaster Fighter | TTL 2000+

Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Tarlach
    Character
    Calaesia
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Close Combat
    Playing?
    Casual
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    Ah, no, I didn't install the graphics drivers for the onboard card. That was a dumb move. I'll give that a shot.

EDIT: Having a hell of a time with this. All the files I've downloaded to update keep saying that my system is not optimised to install the update.

My PC is now set up to generate dumps but it's still not creating it. :(

I've noticed that every so often when it black screens it temporarily comes back with a popup saying the graphics card drivers crashed, so I'm just about certain it's something to do with the GPU. It doesn't always happen, though.
    Last edited by Pani; 06-25-2016 at 02:26 PM.

Mirage Knight Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Yoorah's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    None
    Character
    Yoorah
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus East
    Character
    Yoorah
    Level
    6x
    Playing?
    Retired
    Gold
    Try running Windows Update after switching to the Intel GPU. It should find a decent enough driver, even if it's not the latest one.
    Alternatively, you could try the Intel Driver Update Utility: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...ml?cid=cim:ggl
    Another thing you can try is to download the zip package from the Intel site that's appropriate for your GPU and and then manually update the driver by telling Device Manager to update it with the one in that folder. For example:

A fun key combo you could try if the display freezes: Ctrl + Shift + Win + B. I recall hearing somewhere that it refreshes the screen, but can't recall the specifics.
    Last edited by Yoorah; 06-25-2016 at 02:47 PM.
    "We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for, I don’t know."

Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Tarlach
    Character
    Calaesia
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Close Combat
    Playing?
    Casual
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    I updated to Windows 10 on a whim, figured the free upgrade was available anyway and I had low hopes that it might fix the issue. I can now run Mabi using the onboard graphics, but the FPS is awful and it freezes a lot so I can't really tell if it resolves the issue. I've been searching around online for the same issue and found people do tend to have the same problem (graphics card drivers stop responding only in certain games, requiring a hard reboot), but there doesn't seem to be any universal fix.

I've tried doing a complete clean reinstall of the graphics drivers (including a registry clean before reinstalling) - no dice.

The crashing has actually gotten worse since upgrading to Windows 10. I can't even play for 5 minutes before a crash. It'll recover more often, but after about 5 simultaneous crash/recovers, it 'black screens' (or chooses a colour! It was pink last time) and I'm forced to hard reboot.
    Last edited by Pani; 06-26-2016 at 03:11 PM.

Mabinogi
    Server
    None
    Character
    Yoorah
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus East
    Character
    Yoorah
    Level
    6x
    Playing?
    Retired
    Gold
    Yeah, Intel graphics don't give you the best gaming experience. XD But it was more to test whether it's an issue with your NVIDIA GPU. By "it freezes a lot," you mean you get the exact same problem as before? If yes, then at least you know the NVIDIA card isn't to blame. And since you upgraded to a new OS, which installed a new set of drivers for all your hardware, it's most likely not a software issue, either. There might be something wrong with your CPU, RAM or motherboard. :(

You can test the CPU and RAM separately, with the tools mentioned previously.

As a side note: This is probably not that relevant to your issue but I must say that Windows in-place upgrades have always sucked, and you should do a format/clean install instead. The only time you should do an upgrade is for the free upgrade promotion from 7 to 10, because it registers your system with Microsoft. From now on you would be able to do clean installs of Windows 10 on this PC without requiring a serial key, thanks to that. But after that, I'd recommend backing up all your important files (if you haven't already!) and wiping the whole thing, deleting old system partitions, etc. Let the Windows 10 installer recreate everything as needed.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/soft...load/windows10
    Follow the clean install steps.

Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Tarlach
    Character
    Calaesia
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Close Combat
    Playing?
    Casual
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    By "it freezes a lot," you mean you get the exact same problem as before? If yes, then at least you know the NVIDIA card isn't to blame. And since you upgraded to a new OS, which installed a new set of drivers for all your hardware, it's most likely not a software issue, either. There might be something wrong with your CPU, RAM or motherboard. :(
    Oh, no, the graphics drivers weren't crashing, it was just super low FPS and essentially unplayable.

Is it still likely to be a hardware issue if it's just Mabi? I just played a bunch of Overwatch without a single issue. It's so strange that this is the only game causing it to crash.

As a side note: This is probably not that relevant to your issue but I must say that Windows in-place upgrades have always sucked, and you should do a format/clean install instead. The only time you should do an upgrade is for the free upgrade promotion from 7 to 10, because it registers your system with Microsoft. From now on you would be able to do clean installs of Windows 10 on this PC without requiring a serial key, thanks to that. But after that, I'd recommend backing up all your important files (if you haven't already!) and wiping the whole thing, deleting old system partitions, etc. Let the Windows 10 installer recreate everything as needed.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/soft...load/windows10
    Follow the clean install steps.
    I'll do this. My project over my next days off. Thanks! :)

Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Tarlach
    Character
    Calaesia
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Close Combat
    Playing?
    Casual
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    lol I have no idea what's happening anymore, the game just freezes up completely after character selection now, can't force-close the game or move any windows in front of it or behind it, so I'm still forced to hard reboot.

Mabinogi
    Server
    None
    Character
    Yoorah
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus East
    Character
    Yoorah
    Level
    6x
    Playing?
    Retired
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Pani View Post
    Is it still likely to be a hardware issue if it's just Mabi?
    I can't say "likely," it's more that we've exhausted the other possibilities to the best of my knowledge. Someone else might know better. Other people run Mabi just fine. Your Intel GPU runs Mabi just fine (except slowly.) Crashing like that is very unusual, especially after you reinstall the OS. Different games could stress GPUs differently, and yours could have a specific defect that gets triggered only by certain conditions. As mentioned before, GPU stress test software like FurMark can be another tool you could use to verify if the GPU is not defective, as GPUs that survive FurMark without glitches appearing on the screen or system crashes are usually OK. Not sure if you've had the chance to try it. Have you tried verifying the RAM?

I am assuming you tested the above after fully wiping and re-installing Windows 10 clean (not a repair install or something)? Because that would pretty much eliminate any software conflict that could be causing this... meaning the culprit has to be hardware.

+ Reply to Thread