+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A Mabinogi-like

The Red Fox Slayerj the shadow hero Slayerj the shadow hero Slayerj the shadow hero Slayerj the shadow hero Slayerj's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Magic
    Guild
    Outlaw
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold

A Mabinogi-like

With Mabinogi being as old as it is, why do you think no one, fan or company, has tried to make a 'clone' of it? What I mean is, a game you can sit down and play and say "Yeah this is mabi with a different coat of paint...and codded better to boot." The only thing fans have done is sketchy private servers and I don't think there's ever been anything by any company, devkitty/nexon included, that's 'mabinogi-like'. There's been plenty of games with a FEW of mabinogi's elements, though I think only ONE game to have it's combat system, that Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine, which was broken, Pay2Win as all hell, and only up in JP now.

I know the obvious answer aside form copyright-ish, being that coding is a chore and no one's going to do this out of the goodness of their heart and love for the game, I mean you don't see me rushing off to learn code and artsy stuff and character modeling and all that jazz to do this.

But is it because we still currently...HAVE Mabinogi? Do you think once it finally dies from being beaten too much, to the point that all it's glass band-aids shatter, that's when someone will attempt it? (Probably nexon devkitty...) Or will Mabinogi's style die out then and there?

I'm making this thread on a whim because I just feel like talking about this and getting others talking about it. Sorry if I wasted your time reading it.

Resident Furvertâ„¢
    Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    RRM
    Total Level
    13xxx
    Race
    Human
    Guild
    Takingover
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold
    Mabinogi has multiple concepts that don't appeal to the average player, such a combat actually requiring tactics, and it's a hard game to adjust to when coming from others. So it may not be seen as viable in terms of the market.

Anak's Knight Fabian the adult Fabian the adult Fabian the adult Fabian's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Alexina
    Race
    Human
    Guild
    Whitebeard
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus West
    Playing?
    Retired
    Gold
    I'm asking myself the same question. The way Mabinogi handles grinding is genius. You don't actually feel like you are grinding at all. I wish more companies would try to alleviate grinding on a mmo before focusing on the money making part of it.

I shudder when I remember spending 8 hours a day with a partner 10 levels below mine, hovering around me while in a party full of 6 others doing exactly the same thing as me just to get one level. Kudos to whoever can tell me the name of that game. QQ
    I order you to click these adorable Pokemons!

Konrad the dragon knight Konrad the dragon knight Konrad the dragon knight Konrad the dragon knight Konrad's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Tarlach
    Character
    Gonchi
    Total Level
    50xx
    Race
    Giant
    Talent
    Magic
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    EU - Vindictus
    Character
    Qnjo
    Type
    Evie
    Level
    Playing?
    Retired
    Gold
    I guess making something so different and so complex like mabi is too big of a risk from financial point of view. While you can make another clone of WoW/DFO, slap one extra feature on then call it a day, why bother?
    At the very least, Nexon does seem to be aware of mabi's potential and some kind of spiritual successor is likely to come from them eventually. With Peria ninja-cancelled, currently Maplestory 2 is the closest to what we need.

The Red Fox Slayerj the shadow hero Slayerj the shadow hero Slayerj the shadow hero Slayerj the shadow hero Slayerj's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Magic
    Guild
    Outlaw
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
    I guess making something so different and so complex like mabi is too big of a risk from financial point of view. While you can make another clone of WoW/DFO, slap one extra feature on then call it a day, why bother?
    At the very least, Nexon does seem to be aware of mabi's potential and some kind of spiritual successor is likely to come from them eventually. With Peria ninja-cancelled, currently Maplestory 2 is the closest to what we need.
    Was it really canceled? I never read up on it, just heard it went silent for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
    I'm asking myself the same question. The way Mabinogi handles grinding is genius. You don't actually feel like you are grinding at all. I wish more companies would try to alleviate grinding on a mmo before focusing on the money making part of it.

I shudder when I remember spending 8 hours a day with a partner 10 levels below mine, hovering around me while in a party full of 6 others doing exactly the same thing as me just to get one level. Kudos to whoever can tell me the name of that game. QQ
    Though there are some things in Mabinogi that ARE grindy for bad game design, like CP..or outdated and unaltered training methods.. I'm looking at you, Alchemy Mastery and Transmutation mastery. Seriously, fix it damn it! And Transmutation alchemy, the only 'real' way to rank you early on is with Mana crystalization as that gives 2x the training right off the bat! Why are the other training methods completely useless?

Konrad the dragon knight Konrad the dragon knight Konrad the dragon knight Konrad the dragon knight Konrad's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Tarlach
    Character
    Gonchi
    Total Level
    50xx
    Race
    Giant
    Talent
    Magic
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    EU - Vindictus
    Character
    Qnjo
    Type
    Evie
    Level
    Playing?
    Retired
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayerj View Post
    Was it really canceled? I never read up on it, just heard it went silent for a while.
    http://mmoculture.com/2016/08/peria-...aunch-roadmap/
    More like indefinitely dead in the water, but I'm not expecting a comeback.

Mabination User gundamweed the explorer of Mabination gundamweed the explorer of Mabination gundamweed the explorer of Mabination gundamweed's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Mari
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydian View Post
    Mabinogi has multiple concepts that don't appeal to the average player, such as combat actually requiring tactics, and it's a hard game to adjust to when coming from others. So it may not be seen as viable in terms of the market.
    This is what mabi fanboys actually believe.

Such a concept died long ago with genesis, and even back then things were very much spam windmill, thunder, or magnum shot until your hands bled. Things today are so faceroll easy it's not even funny. Anything that isn't faceroll is ridiculously crammed with artificial difficulty meant for your wallet. Most MMOs have more tact than you give credit for.

Resident Furvertâ„¢
    Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    RRM
    Total Level
    13xxx
    Race
    Human
    Guild
    Takingover
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by gundamweed View Post
    This is what mabi fanboys actually believe.
    I've played a number of MMOs and I've yet to see otherwise. In Mabinogi (especially before gunner) you need to react to what the enemy is doing and your actions change the flow of battle. A weak entity can beat a much stronger entity if they take the right reactions and counters to various skills. In comparison in most MMOs, people set up the same tactics for optimal DPS and whoever has the higher effective stats wins.

Most MMOs have more tact than you give credit for.
    I'd love to hear some details so we can make a comparison.

EDIT: Record yourself fighting an enemy in various MMOs and we'll compare/contrast the fights?
    Last edited by Rydian; 08-28-2016 at 02:20 PM.

Mabination User gundamweed the explorer of Mabination gundamweed the explorer of Mabination gundamweed the explorer of Mabination gundamweed's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Mari
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydian View Post
    I'd love to hear some details so we can make a comparison.

EDIT: Record yourself fighting an enemy in various MMOs and we'll compare/contrast the fights?
    It's so very true some a weaker player can beat something stronger, but really, that isn't a science. Achieving that isn't a big deal. It's not hard to play lullaby, use overture, set up rain cast, and go to town. It didn't require skill, only AP.

By contrast, there are games that have a clear purpose and design for players. think about WoW and its endgame raiding scene. You simply can't just pump out DPS, tank-n-spank, and win, even if you have the gear. No, there are a series of mechanics that have to be dealt with, and there is team coordination that's required. You can't even just DPS as you'd like, cooldowns have to be spaced and used in such a way to benefit others, as well as yourself as to not be caught with your pants down when the situation demands for it. A more modern example, like FFXIV, such endgame content is competitive on a global scale to see which region and server finishes first. Many of its raids were unbeaten for at least a month upon release, just to give you an idea of the amount of strategy and coordination required. Mabi, on the other hand, has nothing like that in its endgame. There's no such thing as cohesive teamplay, only a bunch of players playing solo in the same dungeon. In fact, a large part of mabi's end game is centered around things that throw out everything you learned about proper combat with the use of enemies with advance heavy stander, or if not, are vulnerable to skills that let us fight as if we were in your wow-esque games with the use of bash.

Your average gamer doesn't choose mabi because it's lol2hard4me. Dark Souls is mainstream as a franchise, how could that be if your average gamer is a filthy casual with no desire for a challenge? LoL's very competitive and requires strategy, and everyone knows how popular that is. The truth is your average MMO gamer has a nice selection to choose from without putting up with mabi's abundance of issues and nexon's bullshit. It's just not tactical.

Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Magic
    Guild
    Outlaw
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    It's so very true some a weaker player can beat something stronger, but really, that isn't a science. Achieving that isn't a big deal. It's not hard to play lullaby, use overture, set up rain cast, and go to town. It didn't require skill, only AP.

I built a rambling wall!
     I built a rambling wall!

+ Reply to Thread