+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: A Mabinogi-like

Mabination User gundamweed the explorer of Mabination gundamweed the explorer of Mabination gundamweed the explorer of Mabination gundamweed's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Mari
    Character
    Valus
    Total Level
    Race
    Giant
    Talent
    Close Combat
    Guild
    Ariadust
    Playing?
    Retired
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayerj View Post

Also, no one ever said people played this game because it was hard. They play it because it's 'different'. This game is specifically what some people just WANT. It's THAT game for them. Mabinogi is MY RPG mmo of choice, Haven and Hearth is MY ...survival..thing....game, of choice. Everything else is just filler compared, and I'm sure it's that way with others too.[/SPOILER]
    While that was a very nice emotional appeal, that isn't the point. He said this game's unpopular due to being tactical, I disagreed and gave examples to back up my point. While no one claims to play this game for its difficulty, I was refuting a claim that people avoid it because of it. That might sound similar, but it's not.

Look, you're not the only one who wants a new mabi. I'm sure you've seen the same faces on your server, the same ones who've been around since the beginning. Neither you nor them have moved on, but everyone else has. There aren't new faces, only those who have an acquired taste and loyalty to their old MMO. I'd argue that it's even harmful to a point. After all, you've just acknowledged everything I said, and even added more to boot. Yet here we are. Point is these people, yourself included, are in the really small minority, and it's doubtful if another game will be developed to cater to that small a demographic.

Mother of Osayidan.
    Intimacy is a Nation Alchemist Intimacy is a Nation Alchemist Intimacy is a Nation Alchemist Intimacy is a Nation Alchemist Intimacy is a Nation Alchemist Intimacy is a Nation Alchemist Intimacy is a Nation Alchemist Intimacy is a Nation Alchemist Intimacy is a Nation Alchemist Intimacy's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    None
    Character
    Alexane
    Total Level
    5xxx
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Puppetry
    Guild
    Elegant/Valencia
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus East
    Character
    Intimacy
    Type
    Fiona
    Level
    Guild
    Butterfly
    Playing?
    Playing NA Vindictus
    Gold
    Black desert is pretty awesome, literally infinite progression just like mabi, just in different ways, skills also scale into infinity if you put the time in, the combat is also pretty awesome.
    Everyone go play that with me instead of mabi :D
    Irelia fandom op, better nerf ir... never mind.[1] [2] [3]

French Fries Tropa has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Tropa has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Tropa has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Tropa has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Tropa has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Tropa has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Tropa has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Tropa has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Tropa has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Tropa has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Tropa has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Alexina
    Character
    tropacat
    Total Level
    14xxx
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Battle Alchemy
    Playing?
    Retired
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
    I'm asking myself the same question. The way Mabinogi handles grinding is genius. You don't actually feel like you are grinding at all. I wish more companies would try to alleviate grinding on a mmo before focusing on the money making part of it.
    I don't know, Fighter, Gunslinger and Ninja had a disgusting amount of grinding in them, even with 2x events.

Resident Furvert™
    Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian is a Nation Alchemist Rydian's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    RRM
    Total Level
    13xxx
    Race
    Human
    Guild
    Takingover
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by gundamweed View Post
    By contrast, there are games that have a clear purpose and design for players. think about WoW and its endgame raiding scene. You simply can't just pump out DPS, tank-n-spank, and win, even if you have the gear. No, there are a series of mechanics that have to be dealt with, and there is team coordination that's required. You can't even just DPS as you'd like, cooldowns have to be spaced and used in such a way to benefit others, as well as yourself as to not be caught with your pants down when the situation demands for it.
    Uh.
    http://mabination.com/threads/86923-...hiy-Raid-Guide

Also, I'm being serious here. Record yourself fighting enemies in various MMOs that you say have more tacical fights than Mabi, and we'll compare and contrast the combat systems. Put something behind your claim.

Mabination User gundamweed the explorer of Mabination gundamweed the explorer of Mabination gundamweed the explorer of Mabination gundamweed's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Mari
    Character
    Valus
    Total Level
    Race
    Giant
    Talent
    Close Combat
    Guild
    Ariadust
    Playing?
    Retired
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydian View Post
    Uh.
    http://mabination.com/threads/86923-...hiy-Raid-Guide

Also, I'm being serious here. Record yourself fighting enemies in various MMOs that you say have more tacical fights than Mabi, and we'll compare and contrast the combat systems. Put something behind your claim.
    Uh.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5RZVYAecSo

You're a big boy, you can look up fights yourself.

Konrad the dragon knight Konrad the dragon knight Konrad the dragon knight Konrad the dragon knight Konrad's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Tarlach
    Character
    Gonchi
    Total Level
    50xx
    Race
    Giant
    Talent
    Magic
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    EU - Vindictus
    Character
    Qnjo
    Type
    Evie
    Level
    Playing?
    Retired
    Gold
    On the other hand, you can (in theory) do this:

It all comes down to the type of content you're playing, how much variety you want to put in your play and to what extent your latency will allow you to do so.

Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Mari
    Character
    Valus
    Total Level
    Race
    Giant
    Talent
    Close Combat
    Guild
    Ariadust
    Playing?
    Retired
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    While it's flashy, it's showmanship at the cost of practicality and speed. Why use fighter in shadow wizard of all places when lance wm spam would take care of things far better? Heck, so much would be cut down if it was a human using final hit every couple minutes. Even using fighter, he could have made a faster time if he used overture and lullaby, but that wouldn't be very fun to watch. While it's theoretical to do what he did, in practice most people don't live in the los angeles county, let alone california. Nor would they necessarily want to.

I get what you're saying, the options there, but to get my point across, Rydian said it himself perfectly when he mentioned the use of tactics in BDO. The option's there, but it's not rewarded over what's more pragmatic.

Website Guy
    Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    Chise
    Total Level
    6xxx
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Druid
    Guild
    Nakama
    Playing?
    Casual
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus East
    Character
    Lyrelle
    Type
    Evie
    Level
    3x
    Guild
    MabiNation
    Playing?
    Retired
    Gold
    Kudos to whoever can tell me the name of that game. QQ
    Every MMO ever, just happens at different points in the game.

Anak's Knight Fabian the adult Fabian the adult Fabian the adult Fabian's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Alexina
    Race
    Human
    Guild
    Whitebeard
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus West
    Playing?
    Retired
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Tropa View Post
    I don't know, Fighter, Gunslinger and Ninja had a disgusting amount of grinding in them, even with 2x events.
    I'm not entirely sure. You see, I save ap and complete an entire skillset during training events, so it doesn't take long. I mean, just recently I completed Ninja and Archery in under a day at 32x training. I can tell you though; Artifact Investigation is worse than even Sakura Abyss/Shadow Cloak because I'm forced to have my inventory full of relics ready to be restored. Also it's cooldown is just long enough for me to forget about it, but also short in that it'll feel like I wasted a potential 10 trainings by the time I remember about it. :<

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
    On the other hand, you can (in theory) do this:

It all comes down to the type of content you're playing, how much variety you want to put in your play and to what extent your latency will allow you to do so.
    That guy is a fucking beast. o_o

Quote Originally Posted by Osayidan View Post
    Every MMO ever, just happens at different points in the game.
    I thought the "10 levels lower partner hovering in circles around me while I killed stuff" would be a dead giveaway. It's FlyFF. Basically, back then, it'd take you a day to get to lv20, then a week to get to lv40, then a month to get to level 60, then 2 months to get to lv70, then 3 months to get to lv80, and so on. It'd take you like a year or two to get to lv120, then you have to reset your levels to lv60 Master. Once you are a Master, you gain an extra stat point per level up and keep your lv120 weapons with you, but you earn half exp from everything. It takes the same amount of exp to get back to lv120M, at which point you become a Hero. Then every level after 120 is the equivalent to the exp of all the previous levels combined. :D

You said every MMO ever, but in Mabi I can go run Shadow Missions to level up, I can go spam MA, I can go run dungeons, I can go commercing, raiding (haven't done this), I can spam Saga, I could go do events, etc, etc. Tons of stuff in Mabi helps to alleviate grinding. Yes, there's grinding, in fact, I just spend weeks slaving away at sheep/spiders to rank Tailoring, just for me to fall short and use 1 training seal on Rank 2. No regrets.
    I order you to click these adorable Pokemons!

Website Guy
    Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan has transcended Tuatha Dé Danann Osayidan's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Character
    Chise
    Total Level
    6xxx
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Druid
    Guild
    Nakama
    Playing?
    Casual
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Server
    NA - Vindictus East
    Character
    Lyrelle
    Type
    Evie
    Level
    3x
    Guild
    MabiNation
    Playing?
    Retired
    Gold
    I'm not entirely sure. You see, I save ap and complete an entire skillset during training events, so it doesn't take long. I mean, just recently I completed Ninja and Archery in under a day at 32x training. I can tell you though; Artifact Investigation is worse than even Sakura Abyss/Shadow Cloak because I'm forced to have my inventory full of relics ready to be restored. Also it's cooldown is just long enough for me to forget about it, but also short in that it'll feel like I wasted a potential 10 trainings by the time I remember about it. :<

That guy is a fucking beast. o_o

I thought the "10 levels lower partner hovering in circles around me while I killed stuff" would be a dead giveaway. It's FlyFF. Basically, back then, it'd take you a day to get to lv20, then a week to get to lv40, then a month to get to level 60, then 2 months to get to lv70, then 3 months to get to lv80, and so on. It'd take you like a year or two to get to lv120, then you have to reset your levels to lv60 Master. Once you are a Master, you gain an extra stat point per level up and keep your lv120 weapons with you, but you earn half exp from everything. It takes the same amount of exp to get back to lv120M, at which point you become a Hero. Then every level after 120 is the equivalent to the exp of all the previous levels combined. :D

You said every MMO ever, but in Mabi I can go run Shadow Missions to level up, I can go spam MA, I can go run dungeons, I can go commercing, raiding (haven't done this), I can spam Saga, I could go do events, etc, etc. Tons of stuff in Mabi helps to alleviate grinding. Yes, there's grinding, in fact, I just spend weeks slaving away at sheep/spiders to rank Tailoring, just for me to fall short and use 1 training seal on Rank 2. No regrets.
    The grind is there regardless of MMO, they just have varying degrees of success at making it fun. Mabi is one of those games where it's mentally a lot better, however it doesn't change what it is.

+ Reply to Thread