Talent
    Close Combat
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Playing?
    Not interested
    Gold

Lightbulb Mabinogi Remake a Possibility ?

Mabinogi, a brilliant hidden gem with a multitude of possibilities in terms of combat and skills, and a personality and lore like no other free to play game. That's probably the answer i would or could have gotten had i asked "what is Mabinogi" a couple of years back.
    However now that most of the veteran players have left and time is running out, Mabinogi is slowly but surely getting into very questionable times.

Mabinogi is getting really old at this point, and i have personally not read or heard anything about any kind of sequel or remake, the game isn't getting as much traffic as it used to and it's flaws are only getting worse at this point. I have also not seen Mabinogi promoted anywhere for years now.

The only notable Mabinogi related game is Vindictus, and last time i checked development on Mabinogi 2 Arena was halted, ohh and there is also that Mabinogi card game...
    Other then that, Mabinogi is still the most successful title out of the once i mentioned, sadly i have seen nothing that indicates what i feel Nexon SHOULD be doing with the Mabinogi brand.

Instead of trying to create a prequel or sequel to Mabinogi, something that have obviously proven to be less successful than Mabinogi it self i ask this, why not a remake of Mabinogi ?
    Everything is there, it just needs a new graphical overhaul on a much newer game engine along with remade theme songs. One heck of a rebalancing in terms of skills, equipment, stats and so on.

From what i have read and discussed over the years since the release of Vindictus, is that Mabinogi is still the preferred game if you compare the two, and what i have seen from Vindictus and Mabinogi 2 Arena, is that Nexon seems to think that we would prefer a much more grittier Mabinogi related game than anything at the moment.

Now i am not saying everything should be remade, Mabinogi obviously have it's ups and downs in the forms of generation quest lines, items, equipment, events and so on,
    some more and some less necessary than others.

The transition from the current to new Mabinogi could also easily be added, in the form of a generation questline, Final Fantasy 14 did a similar thing where they released a questline that ended the world of Final Fantasy 14,
    and kind of reset said world in Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn, where Square Enix more or less recreated Final Fantasy 14 from scratch.
    Say we complete generation xx and are given a kind of "to be continued in the remake of Mabinogi"
    Of course i am not saying the current Mabinogi should end right there (the lore would have to end) but at least we would know that they are working on a remake of Mabinogi.
    How amazing would that be !?

Of course i understand that not everyone would agree on this, after all some of us have spend many hours grinding for a certain item or weapon or ranking a specific skill,
    countless hours of grinding and failures for a single reward.
    However i feel that this is one of a very few reasonable paths this game could take.

I also know that this is not a popular topic among people who enjoy Mabinogi, (like i do) but it's something i feel we have to discuss now or never.

Mabination User larica has just left the soul stream
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold
    mabinogi does just fine in korea, nexon/devcat does not care about the american servers, we are litterly a cash cow and still bring them plenty of cash. they have no reason to remake the game when the main servers are doing just fine, we just get hand me downs, if worse comes to worse they will just shut down the NA servers. not only that people have been playing this game since beta, they do not want to lose all of the many hours they have spent on it like you have said, nexon is perfectly capable of adding patches that will make the game better and fix all of the problems, but it remains to be seen

Mabination User Valentino the succubus slayer
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Alexina
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by larica View Post
    mabinogi does just fine in korea, nexon/devcat does not care about the american servers, we are litterly a cash cow and still bring them plenty of cash. they have no reason to remake the game when the main servers are doing just fine, we just get hand me downs, if worse comes to worse they will just shut down the NA servers.
    I disagree. Mabinogi isn't doing fine in Korea. Many players have complained about drop in population and many of the once active Mabinogi related site/forums in Korea are inactive or dead. Your statement about NA server being a cash cow and NA server shutdown contradicts each other. If in fact NA is a cash cow, they would not shut it down. But according to Nexon earning report, NA only brings a small fraction of their income and I would assume small fraction of that is from Mabinogi. Mabinogi NA is definitely not a cash cow for Nexon, hence it is run the way it is.

As for the subject of remake...

I just don't see it being a possibility. Final Fantasy is different. It has very strong brand power and can afford to remake a game and be fine. But Mabinogi is different. Investing into a remake that has possibility of alienating the current players but doesn't have enough brand power to bring in new players, doesn't sound very appealing to Nexon or any game developers for that matter. This is why remakes are tricky move for any company really. Remake involves just as much resources as a new game, they might as well just create an entirely new game to attract new players.

the noob ironwoman is a Nation Alchemist ironwoman is a Nation Alchemist ironwoman is a Nation Alchemist ironwoman is a Nation Alchemist ironwoman is a Nation Alchemist ironwoman is a Nation Alchemist ironwoman is a Nation Alchemist ironwoman is a Nation Alchemist ironwoman's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Alexina
    Character
    ironwoman
    Total Level
    1xxxx
    Race
    Human
    Talent
    Beginner
    Guild
    Valencia
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold
    To go with the above, I'll give you an example of Mabinogi's status in Korea right now...

Mabinogi Times, one of the bigger forums for KR players, the section that is labeled for reporting in game bugs, stats, mechanics etc., has been very inactive during the later fall. Compare the 1st page and the 9th page there. The 1st page shows a span of three months, while the 9th page shows a span in a whole month, notably more activities.

According to GameMeca, Korean gaming news site, Mabinogi ranks 31st in weekly popularity, behind some silly games.

The only case where I can see a remake happen is if they somehow introduce a radically attractive new system along with the remake that somehow brings the players back, but the chance of that happening is about the same as finding people that openly support President Park in the streets.
    Last edited by ironwoman; 12-15-2016 at 08:51 AM.

+ Reply to Thread