Server
    NA - Alexina
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold

Server/Channel Mergin, Pros Vs Cons

Yesterday on the GM event i saw someone asking for both and i am really wondering if it would be a good idea so, i will make this thread just because apparently i have so much time to do so.

Cons:

We will be unable to avoid the bots spamming on dunbarton and belvast... actually they could now be on any town/city/dungeon lobby now.

Farming Spots full of people (Those who played SMT: Imagine will know what i mean) even worse when there's an event about farming... Yes try to farm, even gather materials when at least half the server is farming on all the places you can imagine, then add players from the other servers (Believe me, i had to deal with that on Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine... it was not petty)

Dungeon lobbies full of people: (Same as above)

Certain tiny places full of people: (Same as above) actually try to imagine doing the cookie witch event while dealing with at least most people from all the servers in that tiny island.

Places where GMs do their event: (Same as above)

People trying to crash the server or other players on purpose: Yesterday 1 hour before noon (server time) certain players forced my client to crash due skill spamming... twice, then i gave up. (And i doubt the amount of players even reached 50), now add this to the example of tiny places full of people. (I realized this problem first on Cosmic League/Cosmic Break 2)

Lag: I have to hardly try on this one, the game accepts (what could possibly be) all people it can, put them together in a single server with a single channel and you get a recipe for disaster.
    (Ironically if a region block is implemented then Mabinogi US/NA is as good as dead.) (Cosmic Break 2/Cosmic League US/EU paid the price and now it's closing)

Gold/Price Balance: I don't even have to try on this one, all the farmers/crafters/cash cows in one server? Try to imagine how the prices will end up being, just try.

Pros:

... We probably won't have lack of people for raid bosses (event field bosses) ever.

... There won't be problems of lacking people on events that require several players.

Θ ε Θ Zeo has slain a prairie dragon Zeo has slain a prairie dragon Zeo has slain a prairie dragon Zeo has slain a prairie dragon Zeo has slain a prairie dragon Zeo has slain a prairie dragon Zeo has slain a prairie dragon Zeo's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Alexina
    Total Level
    14xxx
    Race
    Elf
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Playing?
    Not interested
    Gold
    I have been supporting the idea of all four servers being merged into one mega server for over a year or two now, actually...

However, you do seem to act like they won't add in more channels if a server merge do actually happen although I'm not sure if that is your intention.. but it is quite obvious that we would get more channels to help balance it out...

Anyway, I will discuss about the cons as you mentioned!

Bot spamming? I have been seeing them rather often in Alexina server... mainly in Dunbarton and Belfast although I do see them in Tir Chonaill quite frequently on different channels too. How will a server merge cause bots to take over everywhere? Especially if we are going to have more channels for people to spread out too.

As for the farming spot, dungeon lobbies, small places being filled with full of people... again, I'm not sure how server merge would do this and I actually want to see some dungeon lobbies and places get filled up with people like the old days.

Places where GMs host their own events... just do it across on several channels like what they did for Alexina server because Alexina server are bit more populated.

As for people who try to crash the server/channel on purpose... well, we already have those problems for a while now and I'm not sure how server merge will make it worse when it is already happening occasionally.

Lag... I'm not sure if you knew this but the channels actually can get full to a point where players are not allowed to change channel to the full channel until certain amount of players exited the channel to free some space... and even so, I am already experiencing the lag in Alexina server on ch1 because it is usually almost always full too... especially during the afternoon/evening on weekends.

Finally, we are getting to the last part - gold and items... I don't think so because while yes, we would have more gold flowing in the system, do remember we have more players using the gold which help balance it out plus we also have more players buying the gacha to get items, reforge, dyes, etc... to sell so there's more of that which already balance it out.

As for the pros... we would have more channels so more raid bosses for us to do! More players to spam the dungeons/SMS/events and doing the activities together such as socializing and PvP which would be more likely and not to mention... if more people run the dungeons.. etc... rare items will be circulated onto the system more often such as the materials needed to make Soluna Blade and so on.
    Last edited by Zeo; 03-28-2017 at 09:18 AM.
    Uhh... here's my Mabination pets? :v

Mabination User callback the ogre slayer callback's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Tarlach
    Character
    7XXX
    Race
    Human
    Guild
    luckychannel
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold
    Yesterday DURING the GM event the meteor/sakura spammers managed to crash the channel server entirely. On Tarlach.

But that is a rare event forcing everyone to one channel at one time.

If we were to say merge Tarlach and Ruairi into a single, let's say 10 channel server, would that be so bad? It would get the numbers needed to have people available for raids and stimulate the market a bit.

The main concern isn't what if, it's how. Whether it's possible to do, and more importantly whether Nexon would ever put in the effort to do it.

Mabination User Cwalker has just left the soul stream
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Ruairi
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold
    you can always blacklist people who skill spam, which would reduce your own lag. Doesnt help if it leads to server crashing though

Mabination User Lyni has just left the soul stream
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Alexina
    Character
    Laea
    Total Level
    2xxx
    Race
    Elf
    Talent
    Cooking
    Playing?
    Playing rarely
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Gold
    Less servers, more channels. Reasoning: grouping flexibility.

Literally, you can run away to ch15 with your friend group from Tarlach when you don't want to be near people, but it will be easier to have an active player base for trading and partying if the community has the ability to, as desired, meet and group up with others (#HumanVanDerWaals).
    ~ Laea : Alexina : 5xxx ~

Mabination User OniZero the bear slayer at age 10 OniZero's Avatar
    Mabinogi
    Server
    NA - Alexina
    Playing?
    Playing actively
    Vindictus/Heroes
    Level
    Gold
    Sorry for the late reply, i had this very elaborated answer for ever part of what you said but, browser crashed and i kind of ragequitted since the forum wasn't unable to save what i typed, then i spend some time cooling down by doing events

Quote Originally Posted by Zeo View Post
    I have been supporting the idea of all four servers being merged into one mega server for over a year or two now, actually...

However, you do seem to act like they won't add in more channels if a server merge do actually happen although I'm not sure if that is your intention.. but it is quite obvious that we would get more channels to help balance it out...
    The people that can't realize the mistakes or the bad things they've done even after suffering the consequences are the loudest ones so, if server merging happens then they will ask for channel merging, this goes both ways having the channels merged will now lead them to demand server unification. (Also the only example i had of this is SMT:Imagine US server.)

Anyway, I will discuss about the cons as you mentioned!

Bot spamming? I have been seeing them rather often in Alexina server... mainly in Dunbarton and Belfast although I do see them in Tir Chonaill quite frequently on different channels too. How will a server merge cause bots to take over everywhere? Especially if we are going to have more channels for people to spread out too.

As for the farming spot, dungeon lobbies, small places being filled with full of people... again, I'm not sure how server merge would do this and I actually want to see some dungeon lobbies and places get filled up with people like the old days.
    People give new purpose to things for the sake of convenience (lazyness), Belvast is the best place for stalls because there's two zones to place stalls closely enough, Dunbarton is the place where people usually gathers, why? you can ask this to different persons and each one will give a different answer.

People that leave bots on the game will notice this pattern, if dungeon lobbies get full of players, it will be on channel 1 (or 7 depending on the server) because it will be naturally where most players hang, for those persons a place constantly filled with players is the best place to leave bots, just like what happened on Dunbarton in Alexina server

Places where GMs host their own events... just do it across on several channels like what they did for Alexina server because Alexina server are bit more populated.
    As from quite a while Alexina has roughtly the same amount of players that the other servers, just that Alexina still is the most active server (Checked by using character creation when events are on) and yet the others do it in one place

As for people who try to crash the server/channel on purpose... well, we already have those problems for a while now and I'm not sure how server merge will make it worse when it is already happening occasionally.
    More players = more of those peoples, just that now they have more chances to succed since there probably will be more people that can log in at the same time as them.

Lag... I'm not sure if you knew this but the channels actually can get full to a point where players are not allowed to change channel to the full channel until certain amount of players exited the channel to free some space... and even so, I am already experiencing the lag in Alexina server on ch1 because it is usually almost always full too... especially during the afternoon/evening on weekends.
    I knew this, but i forgot a while after i was talked out to play on Tarlach and iirc that happens petty much in very populated zones.

Finally, we are getting to the last part - gold and items... I don't think so because while yes, we would have more gold flowing in the system, do remember we have more players using the gold which help balance it out plus we also have more players buying the gacha to get items, reforge, dyes, etc... to sell so there's more of that which already balance it out.

As for the pros... we would have more channels so more raid bosses for us to do! More players to spam the dungeons/SMS/events and doing the activities together such as socializing and PvP which would be more likely and not to mention... if more people run the dungeons.. etc... rare items will be circulated onto the system more often such as the materials needed to make Soluna Blade and so on.
    You see, some somewhat rare stuff can be sold for quite a lot the first days it is released, then the prices drop like a brick off a cliff, i kind of live of those sells since, really good stuff is too hard or too time consuming for me to obtain.

Event stuff can cost less and less every time the event returns (Sion and Shenon related titles prices must've dropped a lot after Samhain happened the second time) it gets worse when you think about the example above.

Collab stuff (and i mean anime ones) are extempt from this, since they only happen once, so, when they are over, they are over and the prices won't be doing much more that go up constantly, but the increasing of the prices can be slowed down if you oversaturate the market with those event stuff. (My kind of people that have farmed countless Master of "x" titles.)

Imagine now if all the 4 servers were put together, is very likely that a lot of people will try to outsmart the competition by farming so much that at the end the prices of anything less that "almost impossible to obtain" stuff will just never rise and the prices of collab items will be stuck in limbo for years along with events that keep repeating even a single time.

+ Reply to Thread